Southern Live Oak

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We had very abnormal weather in my area for the last two weeks and all my conifers did well and some of my larger deciduous did fine as well but this tree just dryed out. Like I said it was a combo of the weather and my soil ratios.

When all the leaves dropped I figured it might just be normal because in my area this time of year I see live oaks dropping a portion of their leaves. Though after another week I scratched the trunk ans branches and there was no green. When I pulled it out of the pot the roots were brittle.

I have another live oak in the ground that I chopped at the same time, I’m going to dig it up this weekend and give it another try like @zachsmith said.
Is this weekend about two weeks from normal leaf change for Live oaks where you are? After many years of trying different methods and timing for lifting the species, I believe I have finally cracked the code. I lifted two on February 28th this year. Both are going to make it (one already has a foot of growth on some of its new shoots). Last year I lifted two on March 1st. Both made it. I know this isn't exactly a scientific sampling, but 100% success on four trees as opposed to about 10% success in the past on I can't remember how many is almost certainly not a fluke. Oh, and I recommend leaving some native soil on the trees. Good luck!

CapeFear盆景

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is this weekend about two weeks from normal leaf change for Live oaks where you are? After many years of trying different methods and timing for lifting the species, I believe I have finally cracked the code. I lifted two on February 28th this year. Both are going to make it (one already has a foot of growth on some of its new shoots). Last year I lifted two on March 1st. Both made it. I know this isn't exactly a scientific sampling, but 100% success on four trees as opposed to about 10% success in the past on I can't remember how many is almost certainly not a fluke. Oh, and I recommend leaving some native soil on the trees. Good luck!
Thanks Zach for the additional info, I’m in south eastern N.C. I’m going to pull the second one this weekend. It’s a little bit behind your recommendations but we’ll see if it works. Since I’m a little more north than you it might still be around the same climate

Top Bottom