Southern Pines.

Cip

Seedling
Reaction score
When would you dig up a wild pine located in South Carolina ? Not sure what kind of pine they are,maybe Loblolly pine, but I just wanted to see how they would do. They have very long needles.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would think that as the buds start to swell in the spring would be a good time. Never collected “down South” though.

Reactions: Cip

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When would you dig up a wild pine located in South Carolina ? Not sure what kind of pine they are,maybe Loblolly pine, but I just wanted to see how they would do. They have very long needles.
Late winter as the candles start to move is the best time. Be aware though, they have long tap roots and can be finicky about being dug up.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Theyre grown for lumber around here as they are extremely vigorous. It might be worth growing one from a young age.

Reactions: Cip

Cip

Seedling
Reaction score
Someone killed a huge copperhead right in the same spot that I wanted to dig....

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Where in SC? Loblolly has 3 needles per fascicle and I think smells lemon-y. (I don't remember exactly but know that it has a prettty distinct smell.)

I'd dig late winter or early spring.

Cip

Seedling
Reaction score
Where in SC? Loblolly has 3 needles per fascicle and I think smells lemon-y. (I don't remember exactly but know that it has a prettty distinct smell.)

I'd dig late winter or early spring.
Florence

Top Bottom