SouthernMaples' Quarterly Unofficial Bonsai Nut Trial Run All Species Contest

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you have nothing to add I remember when we were in knoxville, you had a lot to say about a particular forest. Does this particular forest work ? Because with that critique you emphasized that not all trees should have the same height, and that the ones on the outside should be shorter than the ones in the middle. So with this particular forest I feel like with your advice that the tall tree on the right should be cut back some to the foliage, so that it creates more symmetry with the left side and creates almost a triangle, even the tall tree next to it could be cut back some too.

I agree with bryan on the moss and feel that the red and yellow moss should not be there. The greyish green moss is great in here and really goes well with the bark of the trees.

Still a very beautiful tree and forest, I hope one day I can do something of this caliber. Thank you Forsoothe for being the first one to jump into the fray, I look forward to hearing your critique of my plant.
I had written an extensive critique of this forest a few months ago. It was in a thread about forests.

In general, there should be more variance in the size of the trunks. There should be a “main or mother tree”. It should have the thickest trunk and be the tallest. Even in a forest with a lot of trunks, there should be a view of the mother tree. Brian noted there is no negative space in the pot. They all appear to be jammed in there. They all appear to be about equidistant from each other. The tallest tree is slightly to the left. The eye then moves left to right. There should be negative space to the right. The lowest branches should extend farther out on the right. But they don’t. They extend farther out on the left. Pot is too deep. Bad color for a conifer forest. Blue denotes water. But these are mountain trees? A forest should look as is it “goes on forever”. The steep vertical sides, and the squattiness of the pot, and the fact the trees are planted all the way out to the sides makes it look confined, restricted, artificial.

The stand is too narrow and too heavy looking. And the color is distracting. And too tall. As Brian said, the outer Silohette of the forest is pleasing, but the poor pot and stand really detract from the composition. What’s with the mat underneath? Not necessary. Accent pot is a duplicate of the main pot. It should be complementary, not a replication. It should sit flat on a jita, not on a stand that elevates it. It’s on the wrong side, and too close to the main tree.

The soil is level in the pot. Normally, that’s preferred. But forests are the exception to the rule. They’re supposed to suggest their natural environment. So, some degree of mounding looks more natural.

This forest has great potential. If planted on a slab, or a proper wide forrest tray, that would enhance it immensely. That deep blue pot really detracts from the image.

Top Bottom