Southwestern white pine and Scots pine

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any thoughts if either of these would do well in zone 7 or an alternative pine for this region? Also, any preference between these two and if either would work well for a first pine to work with?

Thanks!

horibonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in Memphis, TN and Scot pines and white pine do fine here. Although, JPB does the best.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had a Scott's for 3 years here and doing fine. I know someone growing southwestern white pines here and they are very healthy. I'm south of you in zone 7. I keep the Scott's in morning sun only in the summer.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am in zone 7b and Ive had a scots pine for 4 years. Seems happy so far.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know what variety mine is. The guy I got it from pulled it out of the ground as a seeding in 1980.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Any thoughts if either of these would do well in zone 7 or an alternative pine for this region? Also, any preference between these two and if either would work well for a first pine to work with?

I've no experience with Southwestern white (P. strobiformis?) other than seeing one growing in the local arboretum, and can't figure a reason why Scots wouldn't work in your area.

The last part of your question is what caught my attention. If you're looking for a first pine, I'd recommend JBP, P. thunbergii. That's not necessarily a condemnation of other pines, as I've seen fine scots (and mugos, and JWP and ...) but the body of information regarding JBP is large.

Just my thoughts.

Top Bottom