Space constrains :(

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The struggle for space is real with just a roof level balcony, and considerations of my other half wanting to keep our balcony at least somewhat useable.

It will be my first spring in bonsai, so I’m sure I’ll run into some more space issues as my trees leaf out. Feel free to share your set ups if you are in a similar situation!

here are my trees,
(Bench)
Trident Maple(repotting soon)
European Hornbeam
Oregon White Oak
Black Gum

(Table)
Coast live Oak
American Hornbeam
JPM

(Ground)
Random projects/ trees I’ve picked up

Attachments

• 524A8B9F-268F-43D9-993E-4F64FDC9539A.jpeg
    524A8B9F-268F-43D9-993E-4F64FDC9539A.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 63
  • B8895AA1-A2B1-46C3-9BB9-467A4B8A6C67.jpeg
    B8895AA1-A2B1-46C3-9BB9-467A4B8A6C67.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 63

Catagonia

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Those are built around pre-made stair risers, right? That’s a good easy idea.

How wet and windy does the balcony get? I’ve been thinking an easy way to make flexible shelving for light things in a small space would be to get a sheet of peg board, a bunch of shelf brackets, and lightweight shelving. Frame it and run a couple of 2 x 4 lengths on the back to give it a bit of heft and just lean it against the wall,with another 2x4 or something less fugly to keep it from sliding if you can’t attach it directly.

Probably not useful for trees in nursery pots, but maybe it would work for bonsai and smaller nursery pots, and obviously for your tools. I think paint plus varnish or poly would protect it enough to handle daily watering, but unless you got metal pegboard, it wouldn’t stand up to much weather, and if it’s windy up there, forget I said anything, lol.

Top Bottom