Spam/DDOS timeouts

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Every time I try to post a new thread, it refuses to post without an error. When I remove text, it does post. When I remove half the text, I can post it. Then when I try to edit the text back in, I get the same error. After 5 times, the Bonsainut website deliberately times out all connection attempts from my IP address. I tried to figure out if the posts are blocked based on certain words I use, but I think it is the length and not a word filter flagging my posts.

I am not a spammer or a DDOSer. Can my IP be unblacklisted?

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I see someone reported a similar issue here:

It cannot be the cookies or cache because the website also timed out on my phone, and I never tried to load Bonsainut on my phone. Then it resolves after a certain fixed amount of time without me doing anything.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't have it. If I see it again, I will post it. Or I can try to reproduce the error, if you would like. But it says something like 'See [somewhere] for the details of the error'. And I don't know what it is trying to refer to, because I didn't see another error message.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
"Oops! We ran into some problems.
Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console."

Got that problem trying to answer someone in detail through PM.
[edit]Since I can post this one fine, let me try to edit in the text of the PM

Ok, I tried and it blocks the edit of this post with the same error.

Posted it in two parts, and it works. So it is a word count cap. Pretty sure I posted before with more words. So it is not always applied? I guess there are 5 attempts to fail for a 30 minute timeout (both actual number estimates, didn't count/measure.)

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got it the other day clicking on dudes thread with emojis in the title.

I have been having conversation with the Sorceress about why she always sends me hourglasses that mean I don't have that emoji.

This is how they force you to spend $ on a new phone. Lol!

I'm going flip!

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have it. If I see it again, I will post it. Or I can try to reproduce the error, if you would like. But it says something like 'See [somewhere] for the details of the error'. And I don't know what it is trying to refer to, because I didn't see another error message.

Browser console? I had the same but has ceased.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just had another error the same as above. No emojis, just text.

Frustrating!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I got it the other day clicking on dudes thread with emojis in the title.

Before and After Metasequoia is the thread.

It has been throwing some database errors. I edited the thread to remove the emojis from the title, and then moved the thread to a different forum (other conifers). Worst case I will completely delete the thread, run database maintenance, and then recreate the thread from a backup file.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before and After Metasequoia is the thread.

It has been throwing some database errors. I edited the thread to remove the emojis from the title, and then moved the thread to a different forum (other conifers). Worst case I will completely delete the thread, run database maintenance, and then recreate the thread from a backup file.

Quite sure am emoji less one was created already.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just had another OOps we ran into some problems.

Bnut screen.PNG

Only happens occasionally and other posts go through OK.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Still not fixed. Just got a 1 hour timeout. And to cut up my post in parts after my timeout ended.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So once I am timed out, I have to use Torbrowser to be able to access this site. And then I can still post.

Anyway, I decided to actually look in the browser console if there was an error there, and there was:

<h1>Internal Server Error</h1>
<p>The server encountered an internal error or
misconfiguration and was unable to complete
your request.</p>
<p>Please contact the server administrator at
webmaster@bonsainut.com to inform them of the time this error occurred,
and the actions you performed just before this error.</p>
<p>More information about this error may be available
in the server error log.</p>
</body></html>

So me trying to report the same thing in different parts seems to work because somehow the internal error stops, and I assume it posts because of what I did, rather than chance?

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hmm, so I wasn't able to post my wall of text. I had to reduce it to one sentence. That did post. Then I tried to edit back in my entire message. I get the error again. Then I post the remainder as a new message underneath my single-sentence reply, and that works. And then I go back and re-edit the single-sentence message, and it works again.

So this doesn't seem like some spam filter thing. I think people trying to pots is causing an internal server error because of some config issue. And if that happens 5 times in a row, that IP address gets blocked by the webhosting automatically. And you have a 1 hour timeout.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This problem remains. Often, when I post a long post it won't let me because of the php/dabase bug. And I have to go onto tor browser so I can login from a non-IP banned identity. And then I can edit in my post bit by bit, without running into the php/database problem. You need to look into what is causing these internal server errors. Apparently, it is not something serious othrewise we would have seen wider problems. But I obviously am not the only one. So something is wrong with your code. And this makes the hosting service decide to ban someone's IP for 1 hour.

Top Bottom