Spanish Moss on Chinese Elm

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A friend of mine gave me a Chinese Elm bonsai that was in decent health but had a large amount of Spanish moss all over the branches. I removed, as delicately as possible, most of the Spanish moss by hand then moved to a soft bristled brush to go after the more stubborn areas. I did this about a month ago and I am starting to see some slowly resurface. Has anyone encountered this on bonsai? What did you use to get rid of it? I’ve researched and found all sorts of concoctions from copper sulfate to lime sulphur to baking soda to gasoline and a match! J Any ideas?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a Chinese Elm bonsai that was in decent health but had a large amount of Spanish moss all over the branches. I removed, as delicately as possible, most of the Spanish moss by hand then moved to a soft bristled brush to go after the more stubborn areas. I did this about a month ago and I am starting to see some slowly resurface. Has anyone encountered this on bonsai? What did you use to get rid of it? I’ve researched and found all sorts of concoctions from copper sulfate to lime sulphur to baking soda to gasoline and a match! J Any ideas?

Whatever you're describing isn't Spanish moss, so we need to see a picture.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it is Spanish moss--

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its definitly Spanish moss.

I came across that product during some research I was doing. Have you used it or used anything for removal?
lichen-1.jpeglichen-2.jpeg

The photos are before I brushed the majority of it off.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its definitly Spanish moss.

I came across that product during some research I was doing. Have you used it or used anything for removal?
View attachment 247970View attachment 247971

The photos are before I brushed the majority of it off.
While there is some Spanish moss in there, this looks to be primarily lichen. Lichen is harmless and can actually be desirable on a tree. Haven't tried the stuff I posted. I don't have an issue with Spanish Moss here in Va. Too cold for it. If I were you, I wouldn't try anything drastic with any of this. The "cure" may be worse than the lichen and moss themselves.

Neither the Spanish moss or the lichen will harm your tree.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love lichen on my trees and would never dream of removing it. But I never have lichen growth as heavy as shown here. If I did I might feel differently.

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Usually a sign of clean air, used as a bio indicator for certain pollutants. Breathe deep my friend.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I usually don't mind lichen on my trees but this one has gotten a bit out of hand. The only thing that was concerning me was the spanish moss. As mentioned, I've removed a good portion with a brush and it looks much better...will have to post a pic.

More info on this elm, when it was given to me, it was in poor health and had a lot of dead branches and the soil was less than ideal and was very pot bound. I did an emergency repot and found about half of the roots were rotten (nice and mushy with a sour smell) I salvaged as many viable roots as possible. It is now is a much faster draining soil and I'm waiting to see if it recovers. Fingers crossed!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best of luck. Elms are really tough and it could make it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I usually don't mind lichen on my trees but this one has gotten a bit out of hand. The only thing that was concerning me was the spanish moss. As mentioned, I've removed a good portion with a brush and it looks much better...will have to post a pic.

More info on this elm, when it was given to me, it was in poor health and had a lot of dead branches and the soil was less than ideal and was very pot bound. I did an emergency repot and found about half of the roots were rotten (nice and mushy with a sour smell) I salvaged as many viable roots as possible. It is now is a much faster draining soil and I'm waiting to see if it recovers. Fingers crossed!
That the tree is weak is a considerable contributor to the moss and lichen growth. The crown of the tree is thin on foliage, which has allowed space for the lichen and moss to grow. They are not the cause of the tree's weakness they are an indicator of other trouble. The root rot is to blame. Clear that up and the top will probably push more foliage and inhibit the moss and lichen.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That the tree is weak is a considerable contributor to the moss and lichen growth. The crown of the tree is thin on foliage, which has allowed space for the lichen and moss to grow. They are not the cause of the tree's weakness they are an indicator of other trouble. The root rot is to blame. Clear that up and the top will probably push more foliage and inhibit the moss and lichen.

Agreed rockm...root rot problem has been tackled along with removing any dead branches. Its a waiting game now. I'll post a pic when I get home this evening that way we can see any progress over time.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Usually a sign of clean air, used as a bio indicator for certain pollutants. Breathe deep my friend.
it is and it isn't. In the south and deep south, it's mostly the humidity, not really air quality. I've seen dense Spanish moss growth on trees near refineries and chemical plants in East Texas, near bayous.

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
it is and it isn't. In the south and deep south, it's mostly the humidity, not really air quality. I've seen dense Spanish moss growth on trees near refineries and chemical plants in East Texas, near bayous.
Here's a review of the topic if you're interested, pretty cool stuff.

Top Bottom