SPCA

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We always have had rescues, oddly they have found us over the years and most were of good breed. Not much to look at first off but with proper care become family every time. The present little one has really given us smiles daily.

Before, after pick up first day -

GEDC0879.JPG

Last April on vacation with us -

IMG_1038.JPG

The rescue snagged her up at the Philly SPCA one day before they scheduled her to be put down...

Grimmy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's what saddens / upsets me about rescue dogs.

I don't know what % of companion dogs in the USA come out of shelters. I tried researching it and came up with these figures:
  • 2.5 – 3.5 M dogs enter shelters or rescues each year.
  • 90% come from the 22% of pet dogs that are not spayed or neutered.
  • Purebred dogs make up only about 25% of shelter dogs.
  • Only 3-4% of all pet dogs are pit bulls but 29% of all shelter dogs are pit bulls or pit mixes.
  • About 1.5 – 2 M shelter dogs are euthanized.
  • About 60% of the euthanized dogs are pit bulls or pit mixes.
Because a minority of dog owners are irresponsible and don't neuter and control their animals, we end up with a national tragedy where on average 70% of all dogs that show up in shelters are euthanized... and the ones that are adopted out may or may not be suitable for human companionship because we know little of their genetic heritage.

And government's "solution" to the problem is to tax the law-abiders with ever-increasing licensing fees and spay/neuter penalties... while the people causing the problem don't/won't license their animals and never end up paying a penny for their irresponsibility.

I don't know the solution. I will only buy my dogs from a professional breeder after researching their lines. Not because I am a snob, but because I believe in supporting people who responsibly care for their animals and who work to improve the health, intelligence and disposition of their animal lines. I sort of feel like when we pick up dogs from shelters we are solving a problem someone else caused... and that person will continue to keep causing the problem. But stuck in the middle is the poor dog... who did nothing to deserve what is happening to them.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But stuck in the middle is the poor dog... who did nothing to deserve what is happening to them.
It's one of the saddest things happening in the world today.
Those are some very sobering facts.
I really admire the people who rescue dogs from shelters.
But like you I get my dogs from reputable dealers. I don't like to think I'm a snob either. But there's all the reasons you pointed out to go to them plus I was looking for specific traits in a specific breed.
I also like the idea of pet stores having rescued dogs only. Pet stores are a major buyer of puppy mill puppies.
And the poor pit bull. Probably the most abused,maligned dog there is.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They just passed a law in California this year - all dogs, cat and rabbits sold in pet stores must come from shelters.
I knew I saw it somewhere. And it's a very good thing.
Hopefully other states adopt this thinking.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
stuck in the middle is the poor dog... who did nothing to deserve what is happening to them.

This IS the very reason that I try to adopt from a shelter. The dog doesnt deserve to die because someone was irresponsible.
When they do die, many of them are put in a gas chamber and die in a very horrific way. It breaks my heart just thinking about it.

We have adopted 5 from shelters which happen to be no-kill shelters. They were/are all very healthy, well behaved and excellent dogs.
Yes a couple of them had some baggage to over come but they did once they were in the correct environment, with humans that instilled the discipline and care they need to be proper members of our "pack". That doesnt mean we beat them or hit them, we didnt. We did establish the humans as the alphas in the pack and show them what is acceptable behavior and what isnt. We follow the practices that Cesar Milan teaches and they work very well.

We treat our dogs very well and provide not only discipline, and guidelines but also good care and and love. They know it too. When I put my hands out, my dogs do not wince or shy away. Instead, my dogs come to me and put thier face in my hand for a pet or scratch. I know I have done right by them.

Last edited:

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
DSCN5557.JPG All our mutts came from shelters, the last two from the pound and they are both perfect dogs. Weiner dog mix and a Cairn Terrier, who was on his second time at the pound. here is the hot dog Dotty and my Yorkie Odie. I need to get a pic of Ernie (Banks) the Cairn.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
...and these shelters are usually the one last thing that stands between those innocent dogs and cats and a fate that could be unimaginably horrific. Shelters provide a chance for unwanted animals to perhaps find a new home or be at least be humanely euthanized (most states have outlawed CO2 chamber euthanasia), instead of otherwise being potentially abandoned, or worse, horribly abused. Have you ever seen a puppy or a kitten thrown from a car moving at 70 mph on an interstate? My wife has personally, and I've had to deal with the aftermath of animals tossed from vehicles moving at slower speeds, increasing the chances of survival despite the likelihood of severe injury. Bait dogs, dogs left to starve in abandoned or foreclosed homes, animals set on fire and/or having their ears cut off with scissors, a dog having its muzzle taped shut with electrical tape... for over 2 weeks. This sort of barbaric bull shit behavior is too common as it is, but those shelters spare sooooo many more animals from similar fates. Sure, the dumb asses who allow their animals to reproduce without a reasonable plan for the offspring are just plain stupid or ignorant... or both, but that's not a crime. Unfortunately, it's always the animals that pay for their owner's stupidity... always. At least, the shelters give these animals a shot at a better life, and at worst, a death with some humanity and dignity...and they are mostly run on a shoestring budget and their positions filled by people who work for next to nothing... or volunteer and receive no pay... because they wish to make a difference in the lives of these unwanted but innocent animals. As far as licensing goes, it is what it is. Fwiw, in MA where I used to live, the cost of a license for a neutered dog was 50% less then that of an intact animal.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
When our 13 yr old collie disappeared, the kids wanted another dog. So, we went to a PetSmart adoption day, and they picked out a 4 month old shepherd/lab mix. The first day we had him, he ran back and forth from our daughters room, dragging out her stuffed animals and brought them to us. He was smart as a whip. We have a big yard and when I told him to go find the kids, he would circle them and try to herd them back lol. He played outfield when the kids practiced ball, would fetch balls from the lake uptown for as long as someone would throw it. He was a sweetheart, but anytime we had someone over to do any kind of work around the house they would ask if he would bite because he had a pretty fierce bark, and was very protective. He lived to be 13. I hate to think what his fate would have been had we not taken him.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A long time ago I used to be a brand manager on Kibbles 'n Bits dog food. In addition to being an awesome brand, we also (through Ken'L Ration) sponsored the national dog obedience trials. This was after I worked with dogs in the military. In a perfect world, I would require all people who want to own a dog to be licensed, themselves. They would be legally responsible for maintaining a healthy and fulfilling environment for their animals, or pay substantial penalties. Unfortunately in this country we are spineless when it comes to our animals.

We used to do all sorts of market studies on who owns animals in this country, and why they own them. It isn't about income. It's about the emotional relationship people have with their pet. We would see little old ladies on welfare who could barely feed themselves providing better care for their animals than for themselves. And we would see people with tons of resources treating animals as "just a dog". It was heart-breaking on both counts.

At least I can say that I worked for a responsible and ethical company... Quaker Oats... back when they owned the Ken'L Ration and Gaines pet food lines.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My SPCA dog. She was advertised as a Staffie cross. I saw Jack Russel in there to...Just what I wanted. Smallish was the plan
IMG-20161027-WA0004.jpg
Then she grew and became a American bulldog (with maybe some Pitbull in there)
20170709_141827.jpg
Screenshot_20170928-160625.png
Man I love this dog. Best one I ever had. She's almost trained up, and what a pleasure to. She is super clever and a very good temperament. I work from home. She taught herself to stay out the street...:D
20170821_144423.jpg
Her and friends at her walking club
FB_IMG_1509089658266.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Then she grew and became a American bulldog (with maybe some Pitbull in there)

We have a big problem with pit bulls and pit mixes in southern Cal. A lot of aggressive blood lines are bred for fighting and guarding... and get loose or are abandoned and end up in shelters. Then some well-intentioned people adopt them without knowing what they are getting. It takes around 10 generations to breed aggression into - or out of - a dog blood line. It is the #1 type of dog found in shelters here.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
We have a big problem with pit bulls and pit mixes in southern Cal. A lot of aggressive blood lines are bred for fighting and guarding... and get lose or are abandoned and end up in shelters. Then some well-intentioned people adopt them without knowing what they are getting. It takes around 10 generations to breed aggression into - or out of - a dog blood line. It is the #1 type of dog found in shelters here.
I think it's a problem all over the country, and again, it's not the dog's fault but the dumb ass owners doing the breeding, and/or improperly maintaining and securing these animals. In the metro Atlanta area, over the last few years, at least 3 or 4 people have actually been killed by pits that escaped their enclosure- at least one was an elementary school student walking home from the bus stop- and many more have been horribly mauled. As far as I'm concerned, there is NO difference between owning a big dog and a loaded gun, and the owners need to be held to the same standards that gun owners are as far as safety is concerned, and the criminal system needs to treat these people in the same light as gun owners who fail in their responsibilities. Also, in my experience, the shelters do a great job of vetting the behavior of animals they re-home, as I suspect they are fully aware of the legal liabilities of allowing aggressive animals back out into circulation.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I definetly enjoy being able to give a home to dogs in need. We have a huge problem with dogs in northern, often fly in communities. Dogs are left outside, breed like crazy, and can form packs. In a world of over bred show breeds with genetic issues at the expense of the importance of looks, I love mutts.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I don’t have strong feelings one way or another about animals. Right now my life quality is being diminished by incredibly inconsiderate neighbors with big barking dogs. They know they are a problem for us as we’ve told them numerous times, as well as having been forced to call the police one night when they had been barking for over two hours continuously until 3 am. Recently one of the dogs got pregnant and they kept at least one of the pups. So more dogs and more barking. I’m very sad. Then there are the screaming brats ...

Anyway more on topic - I’ve had three pets in my adult life, all rescue cats. The first I literally rescued myself when she was a malnourished kitten apparently abandoned in a Pennsylvania state park in February who found me when I was mountain biking there. She lived for 22 years and was the best companion I could hope for, and was part of what will probably be the longest relationship of my life. The other two we got from a rescue organization and are still with us.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 168334 All our mutts came from shelters, the last two from the pound and they are both perfect dogs. Weiner dog mix and a Cairn Terrier, who was on his second time at the pound. here is the hot dog Dotty and my Yorkie Odie. I need to get a pic of Ernie (Banks) the Cairn.
We have a big problem with pit bulls and pit mixes in southern Cal. A lot of aggressive blood lines are bred for fighting and guarding... and get loose or are abandoned and end up in shelters. Then some well-intentioned people adopt them without knowing what they are getting. It takes around 10 generations to breed aggression into - or out of - a dog blood line. It is the #1 type of dog found in shelters here.

All due respect, the "takes 10 generations" stuff is not really true and mostly a misconception that is currently part of the pit bull's problems.

It doesn't take 10 generations to breed "aggression" out of a blood line. Aggression is not completely a genetic trait. It is produced primarily by conditioning by the dog's owner.

Pit bulls, Staffordshire terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, English bull terriers, American Bulldogs were all composed of fighting terriers and bulldogs mixed to maximize their abilities to sustain a fight and cause maximum damage in the fighting ring. That was their original purpose and unfortunately remains so now in some dimwitted circles. fighting was their purpose and their reason for existence. It is what they are. That genetic blueprint remains. You can't separate the bull and the terrier.

What you can do is NOT TEACH them aggression--which is the supreme tool that dog fighters use to make fighting dogs. Those dog fighting "people" use a variety of idiotic brutal and sadistic techniques to maximize BEHAVOIR and capitalize on the foundation of "gameness" in their dogs (and BTW, fighting dogs are intentionally taught NOT to be aggressive towards humans, as in the fighting ring, as their opponent's owners have to wash them to insure no drugs or other substances have been painted on their coats to hurt their adversary--although that training can be skipped by REALLY stupid owners). Terriers are particularly known for strong prey drive and hard-headed determination. The conditioning uses those as a foundation to build on. Fighting dogs are isolated and not allowed to interact with one another except in fighting situations. They are also taught to react to other dogs with aggression and only with aggression.

That same kind of antisocial behavior and conditioning can be directed at people by idiot owners who see fit to teach them that using teeth against a human is OK, or just not bother to teach them any social skills at all. Pit bulls readily take to socialization, some, like any breed, sometimes have issues. All dog breeds have their black sheep. How many yorkies have you seen that behave very badly, yapping and even biting? I'd bet it's a fair number. The only dogs I've been bitten by have been a weimeraner, a yorkie, a dachshund and a standard poodle. I've been working with bull terriers and pit bulls for well over 20 years...

Mishandling and misunderstanding have led to the pit bulls' current "bad" reputation. Pit bulls, prior to their rise in popularity among drug dealers and miscreants in the 1980's, had a VERY long history as loyal, gentle family dogs. Staffordshire terriers were known as "nurse dogs" in the 19th and early 20th century in the U.K. because they were so gentle with small children and family. Petey of the Little Rascals was a full blood pit bull. Pit bulls were all-purpose companion and farm dogs that didn't carry the mythical "locking jaw, mindless in-bred aggression" tag that they have acquired in the last 30 years.

FWIW, I have run across a few "bad" bullies over the years. All had been raised in households that didn't understand them and provided no discipline or guidance. Most of those (with a few very sad exceptions) were retrained and placed with capable owners.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
All due respect, the "takes 10 generations" stuff is not really true and mostly a misconception that is currently part of the pit bull's problems.

It is absolutely true. Animals respond differently to stress based on markers in their genetic makeup. It is such a well-known, scientifically established fact that I am surprised that what I said is controversial. Pull up some studies on domestication in wild animals, or breeding for positive behavioral characteristics in animals. I'm not saying that any one breed of dog is condemned to be aggressive - what I am saying is that if you selectively breed for aggression for ten generations... you can't unbreed that genetic response in one generation.

The idea that a dog from an aggressive line will be non-aggressive if put in a caring home as a pup is like saying that a lion from the wild will be tame - and that it is environment / training that makes it dangerous.

If it sounds like I'm attacking one breed of dog, I'm not. What I'm saying applies to ALL breeds. When I worked with security dogs in the military, those dogs came from lines that were selectively bred for intelligence, bidability, and aggression. They also had to meet a physical size standard. They weren't any single breed and in many cases were mixed breed. But they were all aggressive because they were bred specifically to be so.

Last edited:

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Take a look at shelters in more rural areas in the South and you are much more likely to find some type of hound than a pit bull. I think a lot of them are turned in when they don't prove to be good hunters. We have a beagle mix that was in a shelter and then fostered by a rescue group. He was badly mistreated at some point in his life - he has BBs (or buckshot) lodged under his skin in about 4 places and he has a big scar on his throat where it looks like someone tried to slit it. He's currently being badly spoiled by my wife and is turning out to be a great dog. Curiously, he was house trained when we got him - which seemed weird given his circumstances. He still cowers and acts like he's about to get hit at times but he's slowly coming around.

Being a beagle, he acts like he never gets fed and will try his best to get food off of the counter, off of your plate or wherever else he thinks he can. A few weeks back, we had what I like to call the great pumpkin bread incident. My wife and I fell asleep with about 6 small loaves on the counter and woke up to 5 1/2 of them gone. The 1/2 that he couldn't finish was at the top of the steps. Being a beagle, he was too dumb to hide his evidence, haha. I thought it was pretty funny but my wife was not amused.

20170328_190832_resized.jpg

Top Bottom