Speaking of grafting...

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just dug up an EWP (Pinus strobus) that has a decent barked trunk with some great natural dead-wood areas. Instead of grafting JWP to root stock, can scions be grafted to the brances near the trunk to totally switch the entire trees branching and foliage?

-Dave

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I guess I will let all of you know how this turns out. I think there is a word for this, guinea pig, maybe? Don't be jealous when I update with a bad picture of an ugly dead tree in a couple of years.

-Dave

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can take some when the sun comes up if you guys want to see it.

-Dave

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
here they are.

Attachments

• EWP.jpg
    EWP.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 60
  • EWP trunk.jpg
    EWP trunk.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 36
  • EWP deadwood.jpg
    EWP deadwood.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 43

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok...something begs to be asked here. Why would you want to graft JWP to EWP in this case? If this trunk were exceptional I could understand it. However, and I'm not trying to be an ass here, this trunk really doesn't warrant the time investment. Your time and energy could be better spent on other material,unless your just goofing around and want to see if you can do it for $#!+s and grins.

Like I said before, not trying to dun you for your efforts...just trying to get a handle on your motivation.

To answer your first question, yes scions can be grafted....

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok...something begs to be asked here. Why would you want to graft JWP to EWP in this case? If this trunk were exceptional I could understand it. However, and I'm not trying to be an ass here, this trunk really doesn't warrant the time investment. Your time and energy could be better spent on other material,unless your just goofing around and want to see if you can do it for $#!+s and grins.

Like I said before, not trying to dun you for your efforts...just trying to get a handle on your motivation.

To answer your first question, yes scions can be grafted....

More like wondering for @#$%s 'n' giggles. Either way, I'm too lazy to do it. It took me less than 5 seconds to pluck this tree up. They grow all over the place up at camp, and If I ever find a really nice trunk, I thought it prudent to try to learn how to care for it first. So, if a nice trunk ever does present itself, it may be worth the time and effort. I've passed up about a million of these so far, but for this size (fit in my car with the tent, sleeping bags, dogs, etc) it appeared much older than the other ones.

Thanks for the input.

-Dave

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
More like wondering for @#$%s 'n' giggles.
-Dave

OK that makes sense to me...:D

If a nice trunk does present itself to you....yes then it would be worth it...but make sure it truly is an exceptional trunk...this process will take a very long time. I have a friend that replaced every branch on a JBP with a JWP and then grew those branches out to the correct proportion in reference to the tree. Its a beautiful tree until you get close and inspect it...the bark difference is "REALLY" strange. Plated trunk with smooth branches. Asked if he would do it again he firmly said HELL NO! He did confess that he had learned a lot about grafting but says the time effort was a waste..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the years I've spent digging up trees, I've found that just because you can collect something doesn't make it worth collecting. Usually the easier something is to dig, the more likely it is not worth digging.

This trunk isn't worth the time. Wasting additional effort and the considerable time it would take to graft new branches onto it would be better spent on something more worthwhile.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the years I've spent digging up trees, I've found that just because you can collect something doesn't make it worth collecting. Usually the easier something is to dig, the more likely it is not worth digging.

This trunk isn't worth the time. Wasting additional effort and the considerable time it would take to graft new branches onto it would be better spent on something more worthwhile.

Thanks for the reply, as I said, this is not likely to be a bonsai, and I only took it to practice techniques on. I wouldn't really graft the whole thing. But I've never grafted anything before, so this could be used for practice. Also, the deadwood areas will give me something to use my new dremel on. (birhtday gift)

-Dave

Top Bottom