Special care -bringing back inside bonsai

ehhhgirls!

Seed
Reaction score
Hello , It is my first year with bonsai's tree , and I need your help !:confused:

In Quebec Province (Canada) It is time to bring back inside some of my new friends (bonsais)
Is there any special care to give ? + concerning insects or the risk to bring them back in my house ?

Thank you !

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of trees are they? Some (temperate zone trees) would rather remain outside for the fall and winter.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I agree with rockms statement, too many people think it's too cold for thier new trees, but even in Canada,trees grow outside so colds and snow isn't an issue for trees hardy to your area.

That said, a good check for bugs, and other nasties, before bringing them in if they belong in, this avoids using pesticides inside the house. Get rid of dead leaves etc. so this material doesn't invite pests and disease.

Reaction score
I would also add two additional items to take into account... one, start extending the time between watering, plants grown indoors are easily overwatered. Two, if you are planning on bringing plants indoors that have been receiving alot of sunlight, I would start easing them out of the sun into the shade... so when you bring them indoors they hopefully will not drop all their leaves.

ehhhgirls!

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you !

:)Thank you Rockm . The kind of trees I have : The two first one I got where part of the the first workshop I took at my group (Montreal bonsai society) - Grewia occ. and Duranta repens -tropical . They told me to pratice to be able to understand those little guys better , so I looked up around ( I hope you will understand my french-english) . I have some citrus tree -Fortunella hindsii , Ochna serrulata , one Olea europea , Bougainvillea , Buxus , Myrtus communis , Syzygium paniculatum , Ulmus parvifolia , acers , Ginkgo and evergreens that I will bury and cover with a cone (styrofoam) , because when we get snow it can be heavy . I noticed that last year you got a lot of that white stuff . A lot of new names for me . No I don't remember all of them , I have to read a list I wrote .

About some of the trees , I read that they need a cold rest like Acer , in a cold green house , what are you doing with those ?

Thank's Bill S . I watched for those bugs , how to be sure there is no bugs in the soil ? Is there a solution like I use when I bring back my plants inside ?

LIke you are saying Bill S and Stacy Allen Muse (also thank you for your comments , I will try to verify the different zones to classify them . About watering , I don't know yet just at the look of them , if they need or not to be watered , so I touch everyone of them before watering . I will remember about sun and shade needs , because I really don't want to loose them (my bonsais) . I will do my best . If you still have recommendations to give to me , don't hesitate . I will be really thankful . ;)

Bye for now !

Top Bottom