Special Cork oak

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So I've planted around 100 cork oaks for this spring and I will be doing another thread on the development of them.

This thread is for a special acorn I found which is the only one that I've seen with this trait. 2 seeds in 1 acorn! So it was planted awhile back and I've noticed some movement in the soil of the other acorns so I brushed the soil aside the other day to see if it produced 2 radicles and it did! This one will be a long term dear to my heart project. I hope it makes it past seedling stage and I'm able to grow it out. It truly will be a "twin trunk" I cant wait to see if it has a slight variation in the traits of the 2 trees. Anyways thought some people would get a kick out of this. @Housguy @bonhe

IMG_2931.jpgIMG_3178.jpgIMG_3179.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think they are two acorns fused together. It happens in plants when the female flower develops in duplo.
I have seen seeds containing two embryo's, but there's usually no way to see that from the outside.
This one has a distinct seperative line.
Still cool! And it could still be a twin, if the husk is not divided on the inside by a layer, they could be twins.
If that's not the case, it could very well be that you're dealing with a plant that divides cells in four instead of two. Those suck for bonsai, because as you can imagine they double in size. Ornamentally or economically though, it could be a prize winner.

Good luck with them!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think they are two acorns fused together. It happens in plants when the female flower develops in duplo.
I have seen seeds containing two embryo's, but there's usually no way to see that from the outside.
This one has a distinct seperative line.
Still cool! And it could still be a twin, if the husk is not divided on the inside by a layer, they could be twins.
If that's not the case, it could very well be that you're dealing with a plant that divides cells in four instead of two. Those suck for bonsai, because as you can imagine they double in size. Ornamentally or economically though, it could be a prize winner.

Good luck with them!

Thanks @Wires_Guy_wires either way it will be cool and im stoked to be able to have found it. I probably looked like a crazy person as I was throwing a stick over and over at this oak tree on the side of the road trying to knock down this acorn lol. But im glad I have the chance to ensure its germination and see what it becomes. Im only 28 so I have plenty of time haha

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I live in Southern California, and I ordered a cork oak seedling a couple years ago. My Coast Oaks grow like mad (native species) ... my Corker ... same size after 2.5 years. Don’t get it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I live in Southern California, and I ordered a cork oak seedling a couple years ago. My Coast Oaks grow like mad (native species) ... my Corker ... same size after 2.5 years. Don’t get it.

Meh to each there own, I have time to grow them and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that it might not be a massive impressive specimen 1 day. I also live in SoCal and have live oaks :)

Top Bottom