Special guest artist at the Houston Bonsai Society

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
On Wednesday, October 5th from 6:30 to 10pm HBS will host bonsai artist David Nguy. David is from California and will do a Lecture / Demo on a terrific California juniper from David's collection. David and his wife June, own and run Jidai Bonsai in Chino California. (just outside Los Angeles) http://bonsaijidai.com/ He operates a school of instruction, and a store of trees and supplies. David has many years as a sensei in the Golden State Bonsai Federation. (GSBF). David’s specialties are Junipers and Pines and several HBS members have visited his nursery and have some of his trees in their collections.

If you're in the area and can drop by you are welcome to join us - it is always free to attend the event and guests are always welcome. But you must be a member in good standing to participate in the raffle for this valuable tree. HBS club meetings are held at the Cherie Flores Garden Pavilion in Hermann Park. This meeting will start at 6:30pm sharp to give David time to complete his work on the demo tree.

Hope to see you there!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are a lot of people in CA considering Mr. David Nguy as "Mr. California Juniper II". His late teacher, Mr. Harry Hirao, was "Mr. California Juniper I".
I luckily had an opportunity to learn from Mr. Nguy for about 3 months in 2009. He possesses an excellent wiring technique and an amazing design talent! In my opinion, he one of the best bonsai masters in California. It is absolutely worth to come to his workshop.
You guys are really lucky to able to drag him and his wife there. They are so busy with their nursery here!
Bonhe

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There are a lot of people in CA considering Mr. David Nguy as "Mr. California Juniper II". His late teacher, Mr. Harry Hirao, was "Mr. California Juniper I".
I luckily had an opportunity to learn from Mr. Nguy for about 3 months in 2009. He possesses an excellent wiring technique and an amazing design talent! In my opinion, he one of the best bonsai masters in California. It is absolutely worth to come to his workshop.
You guys are really lucky to able to drag him and his wife there. They are so busy with their nursery here!
Bonhe

Hi bonhe -

The stars aligned - Mr. Nguy has some relatives in town and we were looking for a new friend. Very proud and excited to host David on his visit to the Houston Bonsai Society. Hopefully it will be the first of many.

Scott

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi bonhe -

The stars aligned - Mr. Nguy has some relatives in town and we were looking for a new friend. Very proud and excited to host David on his visit to the Houston Bonsai Society. Hopefully it will be the first of many.

Scott
Hi Scott,
That's great news for HBS.
Bonhe

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi bonhe -

Scott
Scott, if you have photo of the workshop California juniper, please post it to make people drool.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here are some pictures of the California Juniper that David will work on at the next meeting.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

You have to be present at the meeting and a member in good standing to participate in the raffle, but you can join at the meeting after having paid the $25/year membership fee. But some lucky individual is going to go home with a nice juniper. Win or no, I can't wait to see what David does with it.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
For those of you in the neighborhood, don't forget that HBS will be welcoming David Nguy to town tomorrow evening. His demo will get started at 6:30pm and will continue until he finishes. HBS meetings are always free for guests and visitors to attend.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
On Wednesday, March 1st from 6:30 to 10pm HBS will host bonsai artist Danny Coffey. Danny is a talented young bonsai artist from Charlotte, North Carolina and will present a program on "Bonsai Show Display lecture and Exhibit Critique". In 2012, Danny began volunteering at the National Bonsai & Penjing Museum. Shortly thereafter, he moved to Nagoya, Japan, where he began a formal apprenticeship under Junichiro Tanaka, owner of Aichien Bonsai Nursery. In 2015, after almost two-and-a-half years studying in Japan, Danny returned to the U.S. where he interned at the National Bonsai & Penjing Museum. Danny continues to study and teach bonsai while building a bonsai nursery in Charlotte.

If you're in the area and can drop by you are welcome to join us - it is always free to attend the event and guests are always welcome. HBS club meetings are held at the Cherie Flores Garden Pavilion in Hermann Park.

Hope to see you there!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Don't forget about the HBS meeting tomorrow night! If you're in the neighborhood, stop by and we'll give you a big Texas welcome. Bonsai artist Danny Coffey will be visiting for a club show and critique. Should be a great time and I hope to see you there. As always, HBS club meetings are free for guests and visitors. Check the Facebook event posting for details.

https://m.facebook.com/events/1821121568142221?acontext={"ref":"98","action_history":"null"}&aref=98

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@Andrew Robson visited Houston last Saturday. We had a great visit with Andrew - he gave an excellent talk on developing deciduous bonsai and critiqued member trees in development. I brought in an oak tree and an elm broom. He had some excellent suggestions about how to bring these to the next level. Great meeting with over 60 members in attendance. Great getting to know you Andrew! Hope to see you back here in Houston soon.

DD367A1A-A4C5-4FBB-94CF-AC791437CE2A.jpegCE3541E3-F227-43D7-9948-3A132E3D9ED9.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Andrew Robson visited Houston last Saturday. We had a great visit with Andrew - he gave an excellent talk on developing deciduous bonsai and critiqued member trees in development. I brought in an oak tree and an elm broom. He had some excellent suggestions about how to bring these to the next level. Great meeting with over 60 members in attendance. Great getting to know you Andrew! Hope to see you back here in Houston soon.

View attachment 261605View attachment 261606
Did he giggle?

Top Bottom