"Special Kitty" cat litter -- "kitty-dama"

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey, everyone. I just wanted to give y'all a heads up about cheap bonsai soil. Harry Harrington recently posted an article on his website regarding a kitty litter available here in the U.S. that is suitable as bonsai soil. It is called "Special Kitty" cat litter and is sold at Wallmart. I know that in the past kitty litter was not a viable option for us here in the states as we tend to only have the "clumping" variety that essentially turns to mush when wet (that's what's happening when it clumps), but I had to give it a shot to find out for myself. And for only $3.40 per 25 lb. bag I figured, "I can afford the risk". I subjected it to the water test (let it sit in a glass of water for days) and it still is as hard as it was when I got it. You can tell just from the texture that it is fired clay. As far as I'm concerned, it is EVERY bit as good as Turface (which for me ended up being like $40+ per bag since I had to pay for the shipping costs as our John Deere landscapes doesn't keep it in stock). The only difference that I can see is in the color that is more gray than brown which I don't really care so much about. Still even if you can get Turface for like ~$12 / 50 lb. bag, this kitty litter has it beat on price. The only drawback is that you have to go to f&*%ing Walmart to get it .:rolleyes:

Here's the link to Harry's site:

http://www.bonsai4me...cscatlitter.htm

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I admit that, as an independent small retailer, I have a bias. But, if it's only at Walmart, I won't buy it.
Paul

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless you've used it for a year or so, I'd still be skeptical about it's ability to stand up as bonsai soil. Additionally, while it may be adequate in areas that don't freeze, areas that have substantial winters with heavy freeze/thaw cycles (most of the U.S.) could turn it mush in short order.

Growers who don't live in the US, or even in your local area, don't have a real grasp of your local conditions. Cheap is good, but sometimes cheap can lead to expensive.

pgstroud@aol.com

Seedling
Reaction score
I admit that, as an independent small retailer, I have a bias. But, if it's only at Walmart, I won't buy it.
Paul

What's wrong with Wal-Mart? Don't believe everything you read in the media. Remember, for the most part, they are against capitalism and anyone, company or individual, who is successful. And as for that discrimination case which was thrown out, this was largly an attempt to get on a gravy train and soak Wal-Mart for money. Note: I am not an employee of Wal-Mart but do rely on them for a lot of things AT GOOD PRICES!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
''What's wrong with Wal-Mart? Don't believe everything you read in the media."

The practice may have stopped, but they used to get a company/shop that made a good product, then set it up so that company kind of gets hooked on selling to Wallmart, then when the bussiness is all produced for Walmart, Walmart turns and says this is all we will pay for the product, take it or leave it. At this point the whole company was running based on what Walmart wanted, and now they had to chose continue selling to Walmart at predetermined prices, or tell the giant to go away, and rebuild the bussiness, with customers used to the price Walmart charged. Now you compete with a giant selling for less than you. Hard marketing position.

The law suite hasn't necessarily gone away, it will have to be on a store, or region by region basis, all the S.C. did was to say they couldn't lump all the different suites into one class action.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
What's wrong with Wal-Mart? Don't believe everything you read in the media. Remember, for the most part, they are against capitalism and anyone, company or individual, who is successful. And as for that discrimination case which was thrown out, this was largly an attempt to get on a gravy train and soak Wal-Mart for money. Note: I am not an employee of Wal-Mart but do rely on them for a lot of things AT GOOD PRICES!

What do I have against Walmart?
1. Go to any small town and count the number of small businesses that have closed
since a Walmart opened.
2. Research how much U.S. manufacturing has moved to other countries because they wanted to sell to Walmart.
3. Think about where the money you save at Walmart is coming from.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What do I have against Walmart?
1. Go to any small town and count the number of small businesses that have closed
since a Walmart opened.
2. Research how much U.S. manufacturing has moved to other countries because they wanted to sell to Walmart.
3. Think about where the money you save at Walmart is coming from.

I tend to agree with you on these points, Paul. Walmart is inherently evil. Buying this cat litter was the first time I've been in a Walmart in years. It was really weird there. I felt like I had been transported to a different state or something. The people who frequent that store are a breed of their own ;)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, ever actually looked around at a Wal Mart? Who's employed there? In rural areas hard hit by the dragging economy, the place provides both jobs and relatively inexpensive stuff.

If you ask people who live in relatively sparsely populated areas if they WANT a Wal-Mart, the answer will be a loud "yes."

As for the "breed of their own" stuff, well you can always get cat litter at Whole Paycheck, er, I mean Whole Foods and you won't have to mix with us AND you can get personal watermelons, eighteen types of grapes and free-range cheese...:rolleyes:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Um, ever actually looked around at a Wal Mart? Who's employed there? In rural areas hard hit by the dragging economy, the place provides both jobs and relatively inexpensive stuff.

If you ask people who live in relatively sparsely populated areas if they WANT a Wal-Mart, the answer will be a loud "yes."

As for the "breed of their own" stuff, well you can always get cat litter at Whole Paycheck, er, I mean Whole Foods and you won't have to mix with us AND you can get personal watermelons, eighteen types of grapes and free-range cheese...:rolleyes:

Rockm
You've fallen for the Walmart sales pitch.
Check these studies out.
http://www.newrules.org/retail/key-studies-walmart-and-bigbox-retail

Paul

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually I haven't. I have neighbors who work there and wouldn't have insurance if not for that job.

I also have friends who live in very rural communities who would kill for a Wal Mart.

I don't buy the walmart "sales pitch" any more than I buy the sale pitch from all the "anti-Wal-Mart" people out there...

There is an agenda on both sides, only the "anti-walmart" side isn't as honest about the axe it's grinding...

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well,you won't be buying your processed clay from Woolworths anytime soon.

Surely these volcanic tuffs are not only limited to Japan.

Top Bottom