Species for Cuttings

FaNt0m

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm sure there is already a thread with this. I'm just looking for a list of trees that can be grown from cuttings. Help is appreciated

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Many are easy, many are medium, many are hard and many are not possible to root. Some are done with soft wood some are done with hard wood and some are done as root cuttings. Soft wood is done mainly in summer, hard wood is done mainly in winter / early spring. Simple answer is try anything you want. Better question could be, what species exactly you want to try. I had success as easy to root with juniperus, willow, coneaster, prunus, ulmus, potentilla, ligustrum, zelkova, thuja, lonicera, chamaecyparis, pyracantha, punica granatum, cuphea, .. have a good rooting medium (I use zeolite / perlite as mix or pure perlite). Try to avoid organic soil as it could lead to rotting of the cuttings. For better success try rooting hormone (as powder or liquid). Make cuts just under node (where is bud, there is more hormones for root growth). With soft wood cuttings in summer you will need to maintain humidity because leaves transpire water, so you will need to put them under foil to avoid drying your cuttings. Sorry for my not perfect english ;)

Last edited:

FaNt0m

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Many are easy, many are medium, many are hard and many are not possible to root. Some are done with soft wood some are done with hard wood and some are done as root cuttings. Soft wood is done mainly in summer, hard wood is done mainly in winter / early spring. Simple answer is try anything you want. Better question could be, what species exactly you want to try. I had success as easy to root with juniperus, willow, coneaster, prunus, ulmus, potentilla, ligustrum, zelkova, thuja, lonicera, chamaecyparis, pyracantha, punica granatum, cuphea, .. have a good rooting medium (I use zeolite / perlite as mix or pure perlite). Try to avoid organic soil as it could lead to rotting of the cuttings. For better success try rooting hormone (as powder or liquid). Make cuts just under node (where is bud, there is more hormones for root growth). With soft wood cuttings in summer you will need to maintain humidity because leaves transpire water, so you will need to put them under foil to avoid drying your cuttings. Sorry for my not perfect english ;)
this helps a lot thank you

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It occurs to me that the combined bonsai brain trust we have here could probably come up with a pretty exhaustive reference down to the cultivar level for what we have had success with and using what techniques when it comes to cuttings.

Moraito

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

FaNt0m

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Srt8madness

Omono