Species identity help

Lytnup70

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Picked this guy up at a local nursery. It was almost dead but no perkin up. Just no clue what it is?? Just want to ensure I can properly care for it. Any help greatly appreciated
Thank you in advance
First pic when I got it, I did a slight styling and trimming to 2nd pic. Same plant

Attachments

• 20220122_123606.jpg
    20220122_123606.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220122_130607.jpg
    20220122_130607.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 49

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
From the photos shown it could be a great many plants.
For more accurate ID of any plant closer shots of trunk to show bark detail, close shots of leaf to show size and shape and arrangement on the stem and if possible a good clear shot of the terminal bud on a couple of shoots.

Ficus microcarpa is certainly one possibility from the pics.
Ficus genus are easy to ID. They have a distinctive terminal bud covered with a papery sheath that drops off when the new leaf unrolls. Ficus all have distinctive white latex sap that oozes out when a leaf or stem is cut.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
From the photos shown it could be a great many plants.
For more accurate ID of any plant closer shots of trunk to show bark detail, close shots of leaf to show size and shape and arrangement on the stem and if possible a good clear shot of the terminal bud on a couple of shoots.

Ficus microcarpa is certainly one possibility from the pics.
Ficus genus are easy to ID. They have a distinctive terminal bud covered with a papery sheath that drops off when the new leaf unrolls. Ficus all have distinctive white latex sap that oozes out when a leaf or stem is cut.
its ficus microcarpa the distinctive bud you are on about (stipules) are visible (this is not a diagnostic feature for ficus though), the bark says ficus microcarpa and so does the grow habit. The pictures are good enough to ID this one. I would put money on it.

Lytnup70

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you all! It's winter here in Chicago. So I can't wait to see her grow in warmer months to come! I appreciate all of your experience and help.

Top Bottom