Species snobbery

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
im not a huge Privet fan, but here's another outstanding example of what can be achieved in time...by mauro stembergerScreenshot_20191004-153218_Instagram.jpg

does bonsai get much better than this?🤔
i doubt there will be many serious enthusiasts who'd turn their noses up at having this on the bench.

im also inspired by whats around me, but i draw inspiration from what the pro's are doing too.

maybe we could get others sharing inspiring images of 'shrubby' material because they need love too and rightfully have their place in bonsai. at the same time opening peoples eye's a little more.

Last edited:

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
im not a huge Privet fan, but here's another outstanding example of what can be achieved in time...by mauro stembergerView attachment 265336

does bonsai get much better than this?🤔
i doubt there will be many serious enthusiasts who'd turn their noses up at having this on the bench.

im also inspired by whats around me, but i draw inspiration from what the pro's are doing too.

maybe we could get others sharing inspiring images of 'shrubby' material because they need love too and rightfully have their place in bonsai. at the same time opening peoples eye's a little more.
This is a genuine question. Is it possible to have too much ramification? I see that this is a lovely example, but at what point does this turn in to topiary? I don’t mean any disrespect but you can see exactly where the leaves will form, as in a hedging plant. Is there not an argument for less is more?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
in one of your posts you said you didnt see privet as anything more than a large/bushy shrub. this is anything but.
there are many exceptional examples and not just this one, i wont clog up the thread any further though.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
fwiw there exist elms, beeches, hornbeam, zelkova and hackberry with higher levels of refinement. ironically, beeches n hornbeams are magnificent trees in the wild, but are also commonly used as hedging plants.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
To be honest, looking at it again with sober eyes, it does look like a much better tree than I thought. The topiary and hedging comment came from the shape of the canopy and the perfectly manicured look of it, not something I particularly like. It wasn’t because of the species. In my mind, at the time, it was a perfectly valid question. This morning it doesn’t make sense, sorry.

Note to self: When drunk, look but don’t touch.

Top Bottom