Species Study - Acer Platenoides/Acer Rubrum

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is collected but everything is just breaking buds. Wild ones have huge leaves. They go down in size without much effort, highly doubt the get super small

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’d love to have a sugar maple or black maple. Not sure how they would do in zone 7B though. The red and silver maples thrive here and are everywhere. I have a big “October glory” rubrum in my front yard that I take air layers off of. For some strange reason it doesn’t like it when I try branches over about 1/2 inch thickness. I’ve been trying for a thick one to bonsai but haven’t had any luck yet. It has beautiful little flowers in the spring.

Attachments

• 74C4FDF8-4357-4A39-9670-DDE84F44CA4A.jpeg
    74C4FDF8-4357-4A39-9670-DDE84F44CA4A.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 30

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’d love to have a sugar maple or black maple. Not sure how they would do in zone 7B though. The red and silver maples thrive here and are everywhere. I have a big “October glory” rubrum in my front yard that I take air layers off of. For some strange reason it doesn’t like it when I try branches over about 1/2 inch thickness. I’ve been trying for a thick one to bonsai but haven’t had any luck yet. It has beautiful little flowers in the spring.
Dirr lists sugar as good to zone 8 seems a bit of a stretch for me there is a southern strain I have heard referred to as Florida sugar maple anyway I’m sure you should start with seeds or cuttings/layer from as southern a tree as you can get . I think it’s the roots in a pot I would be the most worried about in the heat definitely out of full sun in the summer there . Black maple is basically a cultivar of sugar and definitely a cold zone tree fairly rare

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You should definitely take some cuttings.. about 2-4 weeks after bud break, from THIS OR LAST year's growth... aaaand "bag em"..

This will drastically improve your strike rate..

Big, beefy hardwood cuttings are an awesome IDEA... but are reasonably LESS successful than Semi-Hard, from my experience, (Highest strike rate, obviously being softwood((THIS year's growth))) aaand will "trick you" into thinking it has roots... for longer.

"Bagging" or tenting cuttings with foliage is a real game changer, once you add it to your arsenal.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
. They go down in size without much effort, highly doubt the get super small
This.. we will have to see... time and time alone.. from analysis of MANY individual's experience/data gathered. Differing approached will need to be compared/contrasted..

I don't know about you guys... but that sounds like a TREE-mendous amount of fun! I'm "Root"ing for everyone involved!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should definitely take some cuttings.. about 2-4 weeks after bud break, from THIS OR LAST year's growth... aaaand "bag em"..

This will drastically improve your strike rate..

Big, beefy hardwood cuttings are an awesome IDEA... but are reasonably LESS successful than Semi-Hard, from my experience, (Highest strike rate, obviously being softwood((THIS year's growth))) aaand will "trick you" into thinking it has roots... for longer.

"Bagging" or tenting cuttings with foliage is a real game changer, once you add it to your arsenal.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most native maples are grown from seed as far as I am aware of in the nursery trade . Most likely as seeds are reliable and plentiful in there native range . For example I don’t grow sugar from seed anymore . If I want seedlings I can dig them out of my garden and flower beds right now or lots in the woods . Red maple is actually harder for me to get . I will collect and grow silver this year mainly looking for the variation in seedlings have in the past grown very deep cut leaf versions from local trees that don’t display this leaf . The red in my yard has great colour but is vase like and 25 feet up min before branching but will retry from seed this year from local trees

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sugar stick in a pot have my doubts about its survival. Country road rock crack tree no idea when it was chainsawed chopped estimate about 4 years ago would have liked to have got more roots but we will see

Attachments

• 9F83E5FE-B4F4-4EBA-ABE7-6EA3303596BD.jpeg
    9F83E5FE-B4F4-4EBA-ABE7-6EA3303596BD.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 27

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought of this thread today, couldn't help myself but yoink a "weed" out of my side yard. It was acer rubrum, once mowed, now in a smaller pot to recover. Going to treat it like royalty and see what we can do.
They grow so coarse, I feel it will yield best results starting from youngsters

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought of this thread today, couldn't help myself but yoink a "weed" out of my side yard. It was acer rubrum, once mowed, now in a smaller pot to recover. Going to treat it like royalty and see what we can do.
There are people in Japan working with rubrum Considering what they have access to . You have to think we are the ones that are missing the boat

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think if I do everything exactly right for the next 15 years it could be decent
I feel that. Anything larger I've collected seems like it would take just as much work to create proper dimensions. At the least, more rewarding from a youngling

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have LOTS of these..

Many appear to be freemani as well..

I want to INCLUDE Silver AND Autumn Blaze In our discussions..

I will make a new thread when I have some with leaves..

Or just start one...

You guys can start one here, too!

🤓

Here's two neat Rubrum containers I'll share from my stock this morn'

This one's wild... got accidentally planted under a rock!
2EE29B51-34C0-49FD-B6BA-41FF21A0956B.jpeg3C72645B-4C3D-43B7-84A9-910CD8F5C425.jpeg

Fusion Chamberlaign.

C644C394-6800-4E99-9ED8-DC76B2A43438.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

There we go!

🤓

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok I’m officially going to
Jump on the platinoid wagon. One of the seedlings I dug up in my yard this year may be one . Or 2 I’ll plant some seeds from tree next door this year . I think Horse boy is wearing off on me 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ok I’m officially going to
Jump on the platinoid wagon. One of the seedlings I dug up in my yard this year may be one . Or 2 I’ll plant some seeds from tree next door this year . I think Horse boy is wearing off on me 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
I think you're really going to enjoy your time with them!

🤓

Top Bottom