Species Study - Acer Platenoides/Acer Rubrum

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
These Specific Species Study Threads will serve for the documentation and discussion of growing young plants, upwards, together, towards a common “TinyTree” presentation goal.

Alright.. I KNOW these two have been discussed to DEATH.. for MANY reasons..

But this documentation will be my/our/study group’s own..

And will start with all “From
Seed” specimens that I selected(for most desirable traits) from between 300-400 Rubrum, Platenoides, and Sacharranium (sp) I collected and observed.. I have many still.. but will shine “the spotlight” on both my favorite Rubrum.. (Don’t mind the fung
F8F61B29-1576-4943-AC77-8A01B66634E9.jpeg

And my favorite platenoides and friend. (Yes Gypsy Moths made it over by me this year)C289A171-9995-4398-915C-E4B7B3EBF0CB.jpegF9547526-1A13-4C47-9403-51617BA48B83.jpeg
@liquid_back_draft came and picked one of each out, as well.. I have many more.. if you’d like to grab one for “group documentation/experimentation”
🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Calling @leonwolf2392 to this thread, cause I know he’s on here now. Read it all, Buddy.. let me know if you’d like to pick up any of these for species study.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you don’t mind why plateniods. Rubrum makes sense I’ll restart again as soon as I have seeds in early summer . What about silver maple and sugar I have auger in the ground from before started from seeds and silver is not liked by some BN but it’s the fastest growing native we have

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you don’t mind why plateniods. Rubrum makes sense I’ll restart again as soon as I have seeds in early summer . What about silver maple and sugar I have auger in the ground from before started from seeds and silver is not liked by some BN but it’s the fastest growing native we have
I LOVE platenoides for bark, leaf-shape, COLD tolerance and, ABOVE MOST ELSE, genetic instability....

But COLD TOLERANCE.... may be the REAL "above all else". 😂

Are you familiar with any of @0soyoung 's platenoides

We always find ourselves "going to bat" for platenoides.. so this is a familiar situation for him and I.

🤓

I'm finding myself VERY fast fascinated with silver maples, this year, actually.

Once my seedlings have leaves, I will start a species study on Sacharranium (sp?).

There will be a Tatarican Species Study coming up, tooz.

:)

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was not saying anything against it just curios why . For a big leaf maple I like sugar. Great fall colour and g HD are wood so deadwood is possible in a big deciduous. Deadwood fan . Why should the conifers have all the fun . With power tools 😂😂😂😂 Silver is underrated as far as I’m concerned red and silver will cross pollinate but all the hybrids I have seen come from the silver . Seeds. Plus lots of variation in leaves seeds from same tree fast growing frowned on by the traditional bonsai crowd But sheep go where there leader tells them to go

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Was not saying anything against it just curios why . For a big leaf maple I like sugar. Great fall colour and g HD are wood so deadwood is possible in a big deciduous. Deadwood fan . Why should the conifers have all the fun . With power tools 😂😂😂😂 Silver is underrated as far as I’m concerned red and silver will cross pollinate but all the hybrids I have seen come from the silver . Seeds. Plus lots of variation in leaves seeds from same tree fast growing frowned on by the traditional bonsai crowd But sheep go where there leader tells them to go
From my "Observed native/naturalized" seedling experiments...

I've found that Platenoides leaves reduce much more than Sugars... But ALL leaves will reduce at least a little due to "stunt-stress"

I like Sugar Maples, too...But for me, Platenoides is the "Stretch-range" for "Non-IDEAL" Acers for Bonsai. Luckily my interest in plants stretches far beyond Bonsai.

There are a few members "working on some" @Orion_metalhead has one, I believe.. there is one other OBVIOUS person that I'm missing

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the bidets mistake people make . Is grow native maples like Japanese maple . Which is a understory tree . All our maples are mainly from the north . Shirt growing season and are proper forest trees . Once you have decent root system all the sun they will take . If they have roots and moisture you won’t hurt them . Put those big solar panels to work

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think the bidets mistake people make . Is grow native maples like Japanese maple . Which is a understory tree . All our maples are mainly from the north . Shirt growing season and are proper forest trees . Once you have decent root system all the sun they will take . If they have roots and moisture you won’t hurt them . Put those big solar panels to work
There's "dazzle" in the eyes at palmatums and tridents... They ARE. REALLY cool.

But for me.. ALOT of trouble.. I'm JUST on the border of "being too cold, realistically" for a lot of neat species...

But focus, at least for cold-folk, I've found, NEEDS to be "Cold trees"

🤓

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s what I’m saying don’t grow natives like palanatun forget that wimp warm climate understory tree . Has very little to do with cold native trees . Read what I said

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That’s what I’m saying don’t grow natives like palanatun forget that wimp warm climate understory tree . Has very little to do with cold native trees . Read what I said
I guess I'm confused because some of our terminology seems to be differing from each other.

Palmatums are not native by me... They are native in Japan.

They are not even naturalized by me.. like NON-native Amurs and Platenoides.

I understand what you are saying about the canopy.. and understory trees..

I feel that SOME local understories actually perform fairly well, containerized OUT of the forests.

Hackberries, Amalanchiers.. Hornbeam are a couple.

I'm trying to "hear ya", bud!

🤓

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What I am saying is when the words bonsai and maple are said everyone thinks you grow all maple like Japanese maple partial shade . Which needs clarification anyway . Partial shade in California or Japan is not the same as you and me . Our maples are all not understory trees they are proper large trees in tuned with our climate and short season . Once you have established roots give them all the sun you can get especially in development. Sun water food strong tree mire branches more health don’t treat it as a understory tender maple there not wimps they want sun

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What I am saying is when the words bonsai and maple are said everyone thinks you grow all maple like Japanese maple partial shade . Which needs clarification anyway . Partial shade in California or Japan is not the same as you and me . Our maples are all not understory trees they are proper large trees in tuned with our climate and short season . Once you have established roots give them all the sun you can get especially in development. Sun water food strong tree mire branches more health don’t treat it as a understory tender maple there not wimps they want sun
Ooooh Ok!!! I gotcha!!!

I recently did another "direct sunlight tracking" of my area (Will probably start a thread :) ) in response to our conversations.

Nobody (especially Acer) ever gets babied, here.. except after repots.

You can really see what you are saying when you GROW acers from seed vs. The first couple years after COLLECTING them from the understory.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I never thought about that relation between understory trees and short growing seasons... They're (Northern Maples) MADE to perform!

Thanks for that!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
traditional bonsai crowd But sheep go where there leader tells them to go

I think that it's simply a matter of time invested., UNDERSTANDING these trees...

Because, in the time spectrum... Utilizing these species, for bonsai, is in it's juvenile stages.

We just have to spend the time.., LEARNING how to gain ideal responses from these species.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stop and think why do all these northern trees have such big leaves . Maple elm oak even the conifers . Eastern white and red pine have long needles . Leaves are solar panels to get energy from the sun . Short growing season sun is weaker than closer to equator . They crave light Also I believe the shut down so to speak in midsummer that other places face I don’t worry to much about . Again short season if they have light and water and food they keep growing . No time for that mid summer nap . Winters coming . Remember all bonsai is basses on Warmer areas . I feed trees in development from spring until fall even deciduous after leaf drop . Any sugars and salts you can get in the trunk is anti freeze

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What plans you have to the cool platanoides, big pot? ground?
The REALLY neat crimson one.. was lunch! 😡

But all LAST year's screen-trained or early-wired Acer stock had root sorting/pruning and put in slightly-bigger-than 3" deep pots with about a 50 percent organic mixture..

I'm still "holdin' the reigns" tightly... some will be sold mud-summer... the ones that do NOT, along with the couple I choose for myself(or the kids), Will go into into 6" gallon nursery buckets, after light root pruning, With similar substrate and "Run wild".

🤓

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe mine is sugar or norway.. leaves dont quite match platanoides. Maybe will do a check this year.

Top Bottom