Species Study - Crataegus aestivalis

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So I learned a hard lesson on something I should have known all along. I knew that Mayhaw lumber is very hard when dried. Last weekend I carved a Mayhaw that had a hard chop. About 1/2" of the trunk at the chop has died and dried out. Instead of carving from the top at the chop and going down, I decided to carve from the bottom and went up. Well, the soft live wood allowed my carving bit to go in deeper than it should have. When the bit reached the hard deadwood part, the sudden shift in hardness caused the bit to go out of control & shred my cut resistant glove. The result was multiple cuts on my hand. While the cuts were not deep enough to cause any muscle or tendon damage, they could well have.

The shift in hardness from dead to live wood were quite a bit more than what I experience in bald cypress and pine. It is very much like oaks. Be aware of that when you carve Mayhaw. Always go from hard to soft and not the other way around.

My mayhem Mayhaw row is taking shape. I have a development plan in mind for each of the tree.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Mayhaw trunk split

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
After taking a hard look at all my Mayhaws, I am well pleased. With few exceptions, where the trees still struggle to form roots because I had pruned away too much root at collection, the rest have responded well to bonsai training. They are all either in training mica pot or grow boxes. Wiring of the hawthorn is easy when done at the right time i.e. when the shoots are half-way hardened. The only caution is that the connection between the branch and the trunk easily break off at this time so much care is needed when starting the wiring process at the base of the branch. If a crack occurs at the base of the branch, no matter how I try, the branch does not fare well and usually die.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Also, we were speaking of Cratageus in my area. I believe that I may have had the ID's incorrect.

Mostly I see Cratageus Mollis (Downy hawthorn)

And Cratageus Puncata (dotted hawthorn)

But the city PLANTS Cratageus chrysocarpa (Fireberry Hawthorn) on the streets and public properties.

:)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I’ve learned that Crataegus tend to grow multiple branches at each spot. If I remove all but one and then try to wire that one branch, I often break it during wiring. I now will wire the branch I select and then prune the unwanted branches once the wiring for the entire tree is done. This learning is a valuable lesson for me.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
BIG OOPS.
Based on my friend's recollection of the seedlings he bought, my Mayhaw trees may be Crataegus opaca instead of Crataegus aestivalis.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Very interesting thread.

A little tidbit I found on the Internet. The Mayflower ship ( yes, THAT Mayflower) is named after the hawthorn of Europe, whose flowers traditionally bloom in May.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I spent quite a bit of time lately checking out the Mayhaws groves at my friend's land. Aside from profuse small branch development, the trunks themselves are growing slowly. I am told the trees I collected are 23+ years old. When I first got into the species, I did not appreciate the trunk size as much as I do now. The Mayhaws I have on hand will be the only ones I got. Collecting them in the future is really not readily available. I am going to hang on to the couple dozens I have.
Unlike BCs that can be developed in short order, these Mayhaws will take their sweet time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom