Species Study: Quercus palustris

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
F5EE9CA5-DA9C-43A2-BEAC-1F4E797A4C49.jpeg

I’ve been enjoying my little pin oak, and I’d love to see the species get some more attention. It seems as far as Quercus spp. are concerned, it’s the white oaks that get all the love. I’d like to determine whether that’s for good reason or just because pin oaks aren’t a traditional bonsai species.

The species has a number of advantages based on my admittedly anecdotal experience. Firstly, the leaves on wild trees are small compared to most other oak species—not as small as live oaks and willow oaks, but no bigger than most landscape Japanese maples. Secondly, they respond well to harsh root pruning. They certainly don’t respond as well as elms, but you don’t need to baby them. Thirdly, they backbud profusely when pruned, and they naturally grow with short internodes. I haven’t pinched my tree, but it’s been naturally inclined to develop a fairly twiggy structure. Lastly, the natural growth habit of the pin oak resembles a formal upright bonsai, a style many consider to look “unnatural.” Even young trees have good taper, downward-sweeping branches, and a strong basal flare. It’s no wonder they’re a popular landscaping tree for large spaces.

3E35C3C9-73E4-451F-92F9-E32A1CDA4476.jpeg

I haven’t managed to root any cuttings or air layers, but they’re easy to grow from seed. I collected a handful of acorns from a parking lot last fall, and 100% of the acorns germinated this spring. I just stuck them outside in a grow bag filled with coconut husk chips (folded closed to keep the squirrels from digging), and let the rain and snow water them from November to April. They’re currently inside by an open south-facing window to keep the squirrels from digging them all up before they’re well-rooted. They’ll go back outside soon.

image.jpg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have me convinced . Was thinking before might try them . Thinking there one of the fastest growing oaks . For the north mist likely the reason there so popular in nursery . They don’t grow wild here but lots planted in Ottawa . Was not aware if there other attributes . Like leaf reduction . Thanks for the info will collect sone seeds this year

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You mentioned squirrels . It’s been my experience with oak you need to grow them squirrel protected until the nut is completely gone . This can take up to 2 years with some . They will dig up sprouted trees for the remains of the nut 🌰. In the past I used a wire cage . Unsightly but effective just put the pots inside . You can put screen over the pots . And let the tree sprout thru . But more work to remove .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have no idea just how far north they grow, but that’s easy to figure out.
As I said not native here but heavily planted nursery . I believe native north until the edge of southern Ontario . I have it pretty good here Canadian national arboretum . Is a 10 minute drive from picking my wife up from work . It’s a paradise of trees . Fir seeds . Including several massive pin oak .

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I collected a handful of acorns from a parking lot last fall, and 100% of the acorns germinated this spring. I just stuck them outside in a grow bag filled with coconut husk chips (folded closed to keep the squirrels from digging), and let the rain and snow water them from November to April.

I need to correct this statement. It is now clear to me that these were not pin oak acorns (Quercus palustris). Based on the growth habit and leaf shape, I took the mother tree to be a pin oak. However, this year, I'm seeing a large number of acorns dropping from known pin oaks, and they're less than half the size of the acorns I collected last year. In addition, I seem to recall that I collected those acorns in November while visiting family for Thanksgiving, and the known pin oak acorns already dropped this year at the end of September. I found last year's acorns on a tree planted in a parking lot in D.C., so there is a strong possibility it is a species of red oak not endemic to the mid-Atlantic region.

I searched online for red oak species likely to be confused with pin oak. The closest match to the parking lot tree is the northern pin oak (Quercus ellipsoidalis). The acorns are the same size, shape, and color, and the tree itself has the same overall growth habit. Until the seedlings grow out a bit and show their mature leaf shape, I'll call them northern pin oak seedlings. I'll plant some known pin oak acorns this fall to use as a basis for comparison.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These are pin oak acorns. As you can see, they're only about a centimeter across. The ones pictured higher up in the thread (attached to the seedlings) were about an inch across.

IMG_0586.jpeg

Top Bottom