Species Study - Taxodium distichum

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This seedlings are from last year. I bought them from Matt O late winter/early spring and planted them in Rootmaker trays, then placed them on water. I used orchiata mixed with perlite, as my usual soil was too small and fell through the holes of the rootmaker pods. I can say that I will not be using this pods again, they did serve their purpose of allowing the roots to run, but they are too small for what I wanted to accomplish.

Not the greatest of pictures, but you can see the thick roots flaring from the base of a second season seedling. In a Rootpouch the seedling would be much thicker than this, but it will not have the pronounced root division as a tree growing on a swamp or river. A much bigger and round pod would had done a much better job.

1712933988681.jpeg

1712934010260.jpeg

The roots lignified through winter. When I last looked at them early winter, they were all white water roots. I am going to attempt to cut the roots right at the openings of the pods and transfer to a root pouch after dipping them in clonex or dip and grow.

1712933923631.jpeg

1712933944472.jpeg

Damart81

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This seedlings are from last year. I bought them from Matt O late winter/early spring and planted them in Rootmaker trays, then placed them on water. I used orchiata mixed with perlite, as my usual soil was too small and fell through the holes of the rootmaker pods. I can say that I will not be using this pods again, they did serve their purpose of allowing the roots to run, but they are too small for what I wanted to accomplish.

Not the greatest of pictures, but you can see the thick roots flaring from the base of a second season seedling. In a Rootpouch the seedling would be much thicker than this, but it will not have the pronounced root division as a tree growing on a swamp or river. A much bigger and round pod would had done a much better job.

View attachment 539707

View attachment 539708

The roots lignified through winter. When I last looked at them early winter, they were all white water roots. I am going to attempt to cut the roots right at the openings of the pods and transfer to a root pouch after dipping them in clonex or dip and grow.

View attachment 539705

View attachment 539706
Wow, makes me want to repot my BC seedlings from individual grow bags to something like your setup and let those roots run wild. If you were to do this again, what would you use instead of the rootmaker pods to separate all the seedlings, something like a small aquatic basket?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, makes me want to repot my BC seedlings from individual grow bags to something like your setup and let those roots run wild. If you were to do this again, what would you use instead of the rootmaker pods to separate all the seedlings, something like a small aquatic basket?
Working on that idea right now, I want something that I can let selected roots to run out while maintaining fine feeders close to the trunk. For ultimate growth the bags are the way to go.

Damart81

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Working on that idea right now, I want something that I can let selected roots to run out while maintaining fine feeders close to the trunk. For ultimate growth the bags are the way to go.
Let us know when you do! I do have something kind of similar to your method, I wonder if it will achieve similar results. It will be interesting to see the difference between pond basket growth and grow bag growth in six months.

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0503.jpeg
    IMG_0503.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 13

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let us know when you do! I do have something kind of similar to your method, I wonder if it will achieve similar results. It will be interesting to see the difference between pond basket growth and grow bag growth in six months.
I keep the grow bag in water as the one I use pinch the root tips and don't rely on air pruning. Far superior to the air pruning bags, a regular bag would achieve the same development as a pond basket, only benefit is that it will maintain a little more moisture because there is not too much wind penetrating it. On mine only a few roots escape through the bottom seam.

1712969401747.png

1712969482612.png

1712969545666.png

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So I got this tree from the swamp, split it to 4, whittled each piece thin and tapered, taped them together, nailed the roots to a board. Then I attempted to twist the tree. Only got 1/3rd of a turn. I will let the tree recover and try more later.
View attachment 538068
View attachment 538069
View attachment 538070
View attachment 538071
It's been 12 days, no sign of life yet. It appears I am approaching the limit of bald cypress. The tree seems to be drying out.

Last edited:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I found these pics while searching for trails to go hike near me... looks like I will be walking this one soon. Too bad I don't think they will let me collect any of those BC's.

View attachment 539516

View attachment 539517

View attachment 539518
In my area trees that size would have knees every where... I also notice the bark appears a little thicker than the ones I am accustomed to seeing. Taxodium are truly an amazing species...if you can dream it, they can do it:)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's interesting how a change in the flare line of the trunk can lead your eye. I can now see the carving line for the tree in the future.
View attachment 533314View attachment 533314
Should be ready for carving in the summer. Once the roots are rebuilt and healthy. Never mind the old branches even when they are fully leafed out. The health is displayed in the new shoots.
IMG_1882.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Conversation with my BCs
BC whines “ I don’t wanna be wired. I grow shoots some where else”
View attachment 541330View attachment 541331

CJR
“Grow within your bends or else.”
Snip snip..
View attachment 541332
Perhaps the hardest thing for me to realize and put to practice is the pruning of the top shoots. Bald cypress is so apical that the top grows exceedingly fast and will stunt the lower branches. To get a BC to develop good lower branches, we must prune off the top shoots constantly when the tree is healthy. It is hard to do when they look so good with all that growth. I am slowly adopting the thinking that the BC top shoots are just like water sprouts and clip them when I see them.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Perhaps the hardest thing for me to realize and put to practice is the pruning of the top shoots. Bald cypress is so apical that the top grows exceedingly fast and will stunt the lower branches. To get a BC to develop good lower branches, we must prune off the top shoots constantly when the tree is healthy. It is hard to do when they look so good with all that growth. I am slowly adopting the thinking that the BC top shoots are just like water sprouts and clip them when I see them.
I received some PM regarding the pruning of the top branch. For me it depends on my vision of the tree. If I like it as a flat top, I keep an apex and bend it to one side, then allow a lower branch opposite that branch to shoot up as a slightly lower but on the same level. This is often seen on many flat top BCs. With flat top BCs, the branches lower on the trunk are naturally smaller so things will be OK. However, if I like it as an upright, the lower branches need to be bigger. With upright BCs, I will aggressively prune the apex and other high branches to force the growth down low. Taking away the tips up top result in lower branches growth. I also watch out for new shoots forming near the crotches of the low branches. BCs tend to form new shoots instead of growing on the current low branch. If that is the case, you may have to nip them as well.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I received some PMs regarding how I fertilize my BCs.
I use Osmocotes Plus once every 4-6 weeks. If there are sign of chlorosis, usually due to excessive watering :) , I add a little bit of Ironite. If the soil pH is too high, I mix in some sphagnum peatmoss. That will lower the pH for the soil.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I also received questions on my soil for BCs.
BCs tolerate just about any kind of soil so long as they are given enough nutrients and water. Since I keep a large number of BCs and travel often, I keep all my development BCs in the cheapest potting soil I find such as Gardenese potting soil at my local hardware store that sells for $2.98/cubic foot. The potting soil allow me to water the BC only once a day and get the BCs to grow very fast. Once a BC is through with the initial development, which for me means the trunk shape is set and the apex is also set, I move the BC into bonsai soil mix with pumice and pine bark as the main ingredients. With this mix, the BC growth slows down, allowing the development of ramification, which often is difficult if the tree is in explosive growth phase.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I received some PMs regarding how I fertilize my BCs.
I use Osmocotes Plus once every 4-6 weeks. If there are sign of chlorosis, usually due to excessive watering :) , I add a little bit of Ironite. If the soil pH is too high, I mix in some sphagnum peatmoss. That will lower the pH for the soil.
Word of advice, do not follow the instructions on the back. I was advised 1 tbsp per healthy BC, the instructions that I mistakenly followed call for double digits capfuls!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Healthy budding. Note that the little tree now has a flare shape comparable to a much bigger collected tree next to it. Tree will be developed as a tiny flat top. Wedges will be driven in deeper early summer. As soon as I see the cuts showing lip rolls, I will do it.
View attachment 535949
IMG_1953.jpeg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
According to @Dav4 the time for cutting my BCs back hard is drawing near.

Top Bottom