Species Study - Taxodium distichum

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Am I doing it wrong? I have been doing that for decades with yard trees.
Your technique made me think of that lol. I’m surprised you got that much bend into that diameter trunk. How long do you leave it in bondage and do you get any spring back once you remove the straps?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Your technique made me think of that lol. I’m surprised you got that much bend into that diameter trunk. How long do you leave it in bondage and do you get any spring back once you remove the straps?
Oh I can bend much more. I will leave it in bondage for 8 months when the new branches ate hardened. I will get 50% spring back after 1 year and 25% spring back after 2 years. 50% spring back is fine with me. I just want a gentle graceful bend with them.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Has anyone of us tried bending a BC by wedge cuts?
Zach Smith posted a wedge cut on a BC branch. I know it is possible. I am thinking about doing a good size trunk. I am pretty sure it will work. I am just wondering how the scars would look in a few years.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm gonna have to actually try one of these bad mammer-jammers, up here.

They SAY it's hardy to zone 3...

But, simply the THOUGHT of a bald Cypress... Frozen in our Wisconsin swamps,.... just SEEMS crazy.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A bus box with 2 pieces of pool noodle attached to the side to prevent tip-over is excellent for keeping your saw, rope, etc. when sloshing in the swamp looking for BC.

Another thing is to be sure to measure the base before you dig. The diameter you see above the water belies the girth underneath.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Interesting thread in Bonsainut with more information on bald cypress.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since I live a good distance north of their range, I use photos for my inspiration. This site has wonderful photographs,

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Since I live a good distance north of their range, I use photos for my inspiration. This site has wonderful photographs,

Hooray! Cold Folk!

How cold do the eastern townships get.

I've been wanting to do BC up here.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thank you!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It's doable. In the winter just drag it in your unheated garage. I have seen BC in the wild in zone 6 so just a little winter protection is good enough.

I build a coldframe every year... So I think I'm gonna try.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm gonna have to actually try one of these bad mammer-jammers, up here.

They SAY it's hardy to zone 3...

But, simply the THOUGHT of a bald Cypress... Frozen in our Wisconsin swamps,.... just SEEMS crazy.
The only thing is that you won't experience the growth rate they have in the south... all my BC's had the rootball in a water tub solid frozen the last 2 years for an entire week and were fine. This year they were frozen for 5 days, I will update my thread in spring in case they don't make it...

A little something from your side of the woods, or at least the state...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The only thing is that you won't experience the growth rate they have in the south... all my BC's had the rootball in a water tub solid frozen the last 2 years for an entire week and were fine. This year they were frozen for 5 days, I will update my thread in spring in case they don't make it...

Awesome! I had never heard of that Rhodes Bald Cypress!!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Freezing really won't hurt them all that much. TIMING of that freeze can. I've had collected BC weather strings of nights with -7 F mulched in a cold frame in Feb. I've had collected BC mulched into the same cold frame get killed back to the roots in a two-day span of 26 F. degree nights in mid March. The tree had buds juuuust beginning to swell.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Freezing really won't hurt them all that much. TIMING of that freeze can. I've had collected BC weather strings of nights with -7 F mulched in a cold frame in Feb. I've had collected BC mulched into the same cold frame get killed back to the roots in a two-day span of 26 F. degree nights in mid March. The tree had buds juuuust beginning to swell.

Maybe the difference is that by being frozen in an ice cube protects them for the excessive cold of the windchill. I remember in an article that Brent wrote about winter protection that he have a set up that will water his trees in the event of a freak cold spell, and that the trees being frozen in ice actually protect them better as if they were completely exposed to the cold. Something like once the ice forms it stays very close to the 32 degrees inside. Now another aspect is that once the tree begins to break buds, the sugars and starches that protects them are running up towards the buds and freezing at that point will wreak havoc on the tissue that moved the water. At least that is my understanding.

Top Bottom