Species that Respond Well to Styling and Repotting

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I’m getting prepared early planning out my spring repots, soil, supplies I need to buy, etc. It got me thinking more about trees that respond well to pruning/styling and repotting the same time. This works better for some species than others, but I’d love to hear peoples experiences with doing this. Obviously this rule applies only to trees that are very healthy.

For example, in my experience, most tropicals handle this very well. Boxwoods, crepe myrtles, bald cypress all tend to handle this well. I know trident and some Japanese maples can handle this if very healthy.

I have a few trees I’m unsure on:
Hinoki Cypress
Hollies
Pyracantha
Hornbeams
Wisteria
Junipers
Elms (outside Chinese which are bulletproof)

I’ve never personally repotted and styled these at the same time, but if any of y’all have experience with doing that successfully, I’d love to hear about it.

Any other species you guys had success with repotting and styling at the same time?

I want to end this by emphasizing, I’m not looking to try and speed up anything in this hobby. Bonsai is a marathon, not a race. So ultimately, we want to do what’s best and healthiest for the tree so we can actually make long lasting and impressionable bonsai.

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pyracantha are bullet proof. The will die if you let them dry out, or if they get fireblight (bacterial infection). Otherwise you can beat the crap out of them and they'll come right back.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
With your comment about not trying to win a race in mind, hinoki and juniper are best if repotted separately from all other activities. No pruning for at least one growing season before repotting, and no pruning for a growing season after. Obviously, many experienced growers do not follow this advice. If a tree is vigorous, it can be worked more aggressively. But following this advice even a fairly weak tree will pull through repotting even with aggressive root work. The more aggressive the planned root work, the more giving the tree time to gain strength before repotting and plenty of recovery time will be important.

Also, try not to repot trees too often, once every 3 to 5 years for temperate (winter dormant) younger trees, and once every 5 to 10 years for well developed trees. Tropical trees need somewhat more frequent repotting.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Mohave Pyracantha that has survived things that would be absolutely catastrophic for many other species. That being said as I learn more I try to be a bit more disciplined and measured with what I throw at it and it seems to yield even better results. Not surprisingly, heh.

For reference though it was close to 2 ft tall when I bought it and totally root bound in a 1 qt container. In mid summer I reduced it to basically a stump and cut the roots down to cram into a tiny square container. Next season I up-potted it into a grow box (which I'm sure it appreciated). The take away is that I probably got lucky but I did learn that that are a tough specimen and I have an understanding of what their outer limits of durability are. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom