Species with the Smallest Leaf? (Maple)

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have been interested in acquiring a maple for some time, and was doing some research on which variety to buy based on what I want from my maple. As with all deciduous bonsai, one of the most critical attributes a variety must possess is a small leaf size.

Which raises the question of 'Which maple variety has the smallest leaves?'
So, naturally I hit the Google bar.
As with most of my very specific Google entries, the answers were questionable at best.
So, do any of you fellow Bnutters have an idea as to which maple cultivar has the smallest leaves naturally? I would imagine it must be some sort of Japanese maple cultivar, and some contestants I found are:
Beni Hime
Lions Head
Fairy hair (Not really really a leaf I suppose..)
Kiyo Hime variations
They all Indeed have tiny leaves, but they all have serious issues. For example, Beni Hime have a very poor branch structure (Or so I've read).
What's the smallest maple (leaf) on your bench?
What's the variety with the smallest natural leaves?
What's your favoritw maple variety and why?

Yes it's long for just a few Q's but it's winter and most of us are bored anyway.

Thanks, Joe.

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think you can get a trident to reduce the most.

There my be some A. palmatum cultivars with naturally tiny leaves, but most of the very "different" cultivars of palmatum seem to be a bit tender, or iffy in some other way.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a Koto hime that has some pretty darn small leaves.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is this the size leaf you are looking for?

IMG_20140825_153533.jpg

I have this one in a 5 gallon pot outside. Unfortunately, I do not know the cultivär.

IMG_20140825_153122.jpg

IMG_20140825_153015.jpg

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
some pics of my koto hime

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_7630.jpg
    IMG_7630.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 275

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
some pics of my koto hime

May I ask where you got this? This is exactly the size I had in mind. One of the problems with varieties with such small leaves is that they make matching small trunks. I would love to see a larger sized tree (2'-3') with leaves like this, but it would never happen without grafting. Wouldn't it be stunning to have a three foot tree with these leaves? It would be much more realistic and believable.

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beni hime is the smallest leaf. Natural size is a nickel and can be reduced down to 3/8". However this tree grows amazing slow. Mine gets less that 3-4" a year. Some people sell beni him that's not true beni hime.
The best place to get true beni hime is Diane from http://www.topiary-gardens.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_17&products_id=490

She has the best maples. And ask for a bonsai graft. She can graft so good that you can't even tell.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Joe,

Here is a photo of one of my Koto Hime Japanese maples. It is actually the top from another bonsai I air layered in the 1980s.

Also attached is a photo of pre-bonsai Koto Hime Japanese maple cuttings which are available through my web site at:

http://www.internationalbonsai.com/seedling list

Good luck, this is an excellent maple for small size bonsai.

Bill

KOTO-HIME-TOP.jpgKOTO-HIME.jpg

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
May I ask where you got this? This is exactly the size I had in mind. One of the problems with varieties with such small leaves is that they make matching small trunks. I would love to see a larger sized tree (2'-3') with leaves like this, but it would never happen without grafting. Wouldn't it be stunning to have a three foot tree with these leaves? It would be much more realistic and believable.
I was gifted the tree about 8 years ago by a close friend and clubmate, who has since passed. Not sure where he got his, but he never threw anything out. Cuttings were ALWAYS planted. Ultimately may have come from Bill's tree, above. RIP Jim Rieden...

Attachments

• jim rieden.jpg
    jim rieden.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 244

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I do not grow maples,but this article shows of leaf cutting techniques anyway as part of the maintenance of maple.http://bjorvalabonsaistudio.com/2012/05/23/maple-acer-theory/

I had been somewhat aware of this method. In his YouTube series "The Bonsai Art of Japan", one of the episodes shows them performing this on I believe a cherry but if I remember they did not go into detail or explain it. I bookmarked the link to use in spring so I don't forget. What Would be the main reason American bonsai artists don't do this?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Joe,

Here is a photo of one of my Koto Hime Japanese maples. It is actually the top from another bonsai I air layered in the 1980s.

Also attached is a photo of pre-bonsai Koto Hime Japanese maple cuttings which are available through my web site at:

http://www.internationalbonsai.com/seedling list

Good luck, this is an excellent maple for small size bonsai.

Bill

View attachment 66225View attachment 66226

I must have skipped over that maple entirely when I was going through your catalogue. I originally planned on putting an order in for some of your material but you didn't have everything I was looking for. You may expect an order for that maple soon, it seems very well developed for the price.

Edit: Also, when can I expect the tree to form mature bark on a maple specimen from your nursery?

Last edited:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Beni hime is the smallest leaf. Natural size is a nickel and can be reduced down to 3/8". However this tree grows amazing slow. Mine gets less that 3-4" a year. Some people sell beni him that's not true beni hime.
The best place to get true beni hime is Diane from http://www.topiary-gardens.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_17&products_id=490

She has the best maples. And ask for a bonsai graft. She can graft so good that you can't even tell.

That was my original issue with this variety. It grows too darn slow! She doesn't have any pictures of the stock so I am not really sure what to expect. I might have to find a large jap maple and slowly graft this foliage on it. Has anyone attempted such a thing?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Joe,
For some pretty good pre-Bonsai maple stock try Mark Comstock.
https://www.facebook.com/mark.comstock.5283?fref=hovercard

He has various cultivars of maples, nice starts at pretty good prices.

He does have some very nice stock, I just wish he had it a little more organized or a website maybe. I think most of his stuff is more than I am looking to pay for, I am new to maples obviously and am looking for something to play with mostly. Somewhere around $30 to $75 depending on the deal is what I'm looking to pay.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
He does have some very nice stock, I just wish he had it a little more organized or a website maybe. I think most of his stuff is more than I am looking to pay for, I am new to maples obviously and am looking for something to play with mostly. Somewhere around $30 to $75 depending on the deal is what I'm looking to pay.

Joe, PM him with what you are looking for and what your $$ range is. I have found that he will work with you and send you pics of the stock he has in that range.

Top Bottom