Spekboom a.k.a. Portulacaria Afra

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My first tree was a WalMart p.afra that I picked up just because, while researching how to care for it I was hooked on bonsai.
I will try to get some pics uploaded this evening.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
think i'm g
Thanks Kevin. Re the 'forest' look. In many instances it's a case of "now, just what can I do with all these leftover cuttings?...hmmm.... there's a spare pot sitting over there... I know what I'll do ! " :D
think i'm gonna try to imitate one of those, but then i reckon my gigantic lower branch must go

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one has a new set of leaves.

Mine self defoliate over the winter in my house yearly. They don't like being inside nov-April in my dry house on a windowsill. They look bad and have few leaves by April and then look happy after 6 months outside. It's a yearly occurrence. It's like trees prefer to live outside or something. Weird,huh?

Reaction score
Thanks Kevin. Re the 'forest' look. In many instances it's a case of "now, just what can I do with all these leftover cuttings?...hmmm.... there's a spare pot sitting over there... I know what I'll do ! " :D

The forest ones are actually my favorite. I would totally buy one. They're amazing haha.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did you do a full defoliation

You can do a full defoliation during the active growing season. I suppose it’s hard on them like any other “tree”. But they are so damn tough they don’t seem to mind. I haven’t tried multiple times in the same season but with a long season it is probably possible. I guess when you evolve getting thrashed and stripped by elephants, anything I do is going to be pretty tame!

Top Bottom