Speria from nursery stock

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone. New here, so please don't beat me up. I go this speria from a big box store. I absolutely love the trunk movement, and had to bring it home. I'd like some help from you guys, about cutting. I took off a bunch of tridents and unnecessary branches. Now I'm stuck. I know I have to make some daring cuts, from this point on. My question is, which branches have to go, to get this to a pre bonsai? Is it a good tree to continue with? Or should I let it go? Personally, I see a pretty cool bonsai in the future. Any an all feedback is appreciated. Thank you248325248326248327248328

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome!!
Not a great specimen itself, so in my opinion for what you paid for it, I would either plant in the ground and let it grow for 5-10 yrs. or cut back HEAVY. Spires back bud easy and will take a hard prune. as is. Either way, the current growth and branching does nothing for you in regards to long term bonsai. If you choose to chop, look for a good trunk line. One that tapers from bottom to top and only decreases in size from bottom to top. When you find that, chop everything off that doesn’t fit that line. You should be able to grow back what you need in a year or two. That is if the tree is healthy enough and takes a chop now. It’s getting a little late to do major work, but again, at 7.50, you might as well. Here’s an image of what I’m seeing. Good luck and be bold!248338

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome!!
Not a great specimen itself, so in my opinion for what you paid for it, I would either plant in the ground and let it grow for 5-10 yrs. or cut back HEAVY. Spires back bud easy and will take a hard prune. as is. Either way, the current growth and branching does nothing for you in regards to long term bonsai. If you choose to chop, look for a good trunk line. One that tapers from bottom to top and only decreases in size from bottom to top. When you find that, chop everything off that doesn’t fit that line. You should be able to grow back what you need in a year or two. That is if the tree is healthy enough and takes a chop now. It’s getting a little late to do major work, but again, at 7.50, you might as well. Here’s an image of what I’m seeing. Good luck and be bold!View attachment 248338
Hartinez, thank you so much for your response. I actually didn't pay 7.50 for it. It was on a clearance rack, and got it for $1. So, it's not a huge loss, if I were to butcher it, and it not recover. Thank you for the illustration. It's just about what I was seeing, myself. I guess from here, I just have to make the bold cuts, and see what happens. Unfortunately, I can't plant in ground where I live. So, I'll probably just repot it, and let it grow. Ty again.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hartinez, thank you so much for your response. I actually didn't pay 7.50 for it. It was on a clearance rack, and got it for $1. So, it's not a huge loss, if I were to butcher it, and it not recover. Thank you for the illustration. It's just about what I was seeing, myself. I guess from here, I just have to make the bold cuts, and see what happens. Unfortunately, I can't plant in ground where I live. So, I'll probably just repot it, and let it grow. Ty again.
If you decide to cut way back, just leave it in its current pot and repot next spring. I’m willing to bet it’ll bud out pretty quickly.

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hartinez, I meant to ask. What species is your profile pic? Thank you tree looks amazing. That is some seriously great work.

Top Bottom