sphagnum moss came back to life

xisbi

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi

I bought dried sphagnum moss from amazon for air layering. I spread around some of it on top of the soil of one of my plants to keep the top moist, the other day I noticed patches of green life sphagnum moss. I am new at this so I don't know the effects of life sphagnum moss will have on my tree. Should I remove the live patches and replace with dead moss?

xisbi

Sapling
Reaction score
I had the sphagnum moss there only for few days, and this is indoors. I will take a picture and post when I get home.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Dried spaghnum moss isn't necessarily dead, and even if it is, there may be spores that can reactivate in the right circumstances.

Based on the timing (a few days), I'm betting on "not completely dead" (only mostly dead?)

Pics would help. What color was the spaghnum when you got it? Was it a pretty uniform taupe with some brown? Or was some of it green-but-dry?

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Oh... I should add that live spaghnum moss is a++ good for your airlayer. All the nice anti-microbial properties, but alive now... so more active. Peter Chan recommends growing sick or recently collected trees in straight live spaghnum for at least a season to establish healthy roots.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have grown sphagnum moss for nearly a decade. It can revive from dried material with relative ease. Sometimes even some drosera rotundifolia popped up.
However, once you start fertilizing, you might kill it. It doesn't take pot conditions very well and it needs constant moisture; I had to grow it in a man-made bog to keep it healthy. It might be a sign that things are being kept too wet.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi

I bought dried sphagnum moss from amazon for air layering. I spread around some of it on top of the soil of one of my plants to keep the top moist, the other day I noticed patches of green life sphagnum moss. I am new at this so I don't know the effects of life sphagnum moss will have on my tree. Should I remove the live patches and replace with dead moss?
It happens. I have had this happen at least half a dozen times, mostly with orchids but bonsai too.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Either way, probably no need for sphagnum moss on an inside tree.

xisbi

Sapling
Reaction score
ok here is the picture, I am not 100% sure if it is a life. I will try to take another picture during the day next time.`

Attachments

• IMG_4467.JPG
    IMG_4467.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 54
Reaction score
Well... I use live sphagnum and never noticed any problem. If anything it purifies the water.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
it's alive.
No worries, in of itself, it is not a bad thing.

As mentioned above, it is a sign that you might possibly be keeping your tree too wet, but it is not proof that it is too wet. Use your finger as your moisture meter to determine if watering is necessary. Dig in at least half an inch. If moist, don't water, if barely damp, time to water. If bone dry, you should have watered yesterday. Check moisture daily, water only when needed.

xisbi

Sapling
Reaction score
The soil is not wet, but I do mist the sphagnum daily. Am I wrong assume only that patch of moss is a life and it will not all turn green and come back to life

Top Bottom