Spherical concave cutter vs knob cutter. Which one is best for removing small stubs?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi everyone. I have a small 7" / 180mm narrow concave cutter (like this) that I use to remove branches on small trees. For removing stubs after a straight edge concave cutter, I usually use a large 8" / 205mm spherical concave cutter, but it's inconvenient as hell when the tree is small, too bulky and hard to get to the stub. And I was faced with a choice: buy a 7" knob cutter or a spherical concave cutter (more versatile). Which one is best for removing small stumps? Especially if it's in a hard to reach place.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It'd hard to say which is best.
It depends on the situation and access to the stub through other branches.

The concave cutter will be able get in at an angle where the knob cutter will have a straighter angle of approach.

As far as the actual cutting once you get to it. Both will do the job. I don't think there is a best.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
As far as the actual cutting once you get to it. Both will do the job. I don't think there is a best.
Yes, it's true. The only question is whether to buy a slightly bulky universal tool (spherical concave cutter) or a more compact one (knob cutter). It's hard to talk when you can't hold them in your hands before buying😀

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have both, but I use the knob cutter much more often. It's a classic case of having the right tool at hand to do the job properly. I only rarely find myself needing the spherical concave cutter... but when I do it is because something is blocking my ability to come directly in to the cut. It happens more often with multi-trunk trees.

Top Bottom