Spider Farmer SF600 74W Grow Light

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello- I am new to using grow lights. I have 4 Jaboticaba in a window sill and they aren't getting sufficient sun in the current location at this time of year. Howwever I don't have any other options in my apartment. I purchased the Spider Farmer SF660 above for its form factor, size(39.37 x 5.91 x 1.39 inches), and the reflector to help direct the light(Covers 2x4 area). I was planning on hanging it over the Trees. How far above the top of the trees would you recommend hanging the light as a starting point? Would you recommend getting 2 and hanging them on each side of the window alternatively?

Please see the link below for Specs:

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We have an SF2000 that has been used for a couple years. Distances vary between 18-24” above the plants, depending on the desired effort.

Here is the Spider Farmer series manual. It states their recommended distance/purpose.

Cheers and Good Luck
DSD sends

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The SF 600 is a different caliber of light than the SF 1000 through 4000 series. It is a great light and I just installed one a couple weeks ago and have another on order. I use them to winter tropicals, mostly ficus, that have been outside all summer. Heights of plants vary, but the average distance between my light and my plant tops is about foot.
With the Sf200 through 4000 that would be too close.
The SF 600 pleases me in all ways except that you can't daisy chain the lights. It has a very practical footprint (light-print) of about 2 x 4 feet.

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
We have an SF2000 that has been used for a couple years. Distances vary between 18-24” above the plants, depending on the desired effort.

Here is the Spider Farmer series manual. It states their recommended distance/purpose.

Cheers and Good Luck
DSD sends
Deep Sea Diver- Thanks for you input, I greatly appreciate all the help!

Cheers,
RG

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
The SF 600 is a different caliber of light than the SF 1000 through 4000 series. It is a great light and I just installed one a couple weeks ago and have another on order. I use them to winter tropicals, mostly ficus, that have been outside all summer. Heights of plants vary, but the average distance between my light and my plant tops is about foot.
With the Sf200 through 4000 that would be too close.
The SF 600 pleases me in all ways except that you can't daisy chain the lights. It has a very practical footprint (light-print) of about 2 x 4 feet.
Penumbra- That is exactly what I was hoping the hear! Thanks a bunch! Do you use the SF 600 as the only source of light or are your ficus in a window?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Penumbra- That is exactly what I was hoping the hear! Thanks a bunch! Do you use the SF 600 as the only source of light or are your ficus in a window?
Only source, I have a lack of natural light in my basement.
Prior to this I was using a lot of LED shop lights. They are cheap, they are bright, but they don't last. Plant lights, when well designed and built by outfits like Spider Farmer, should last for many years.

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
Penumbra- Thanks a bunch! I am assuming you run them Sunrise to Sunset(12 hrs) a day?

Top Bottom