Spider Mites? Fungus?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I noticed the scales on a few small branches of my juniper turned a white color. There were also small dots of white on them as well. What is this?
IMG_1776.JPG

Below is a normal branch
IMG_1777.JPG

I am going to hit them with dormant spray today since they are going into winter protection very soon. Please advise if this is enough.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Your Shimpaku isn’t dormant, but the white spots look like eggs. You’d need to tap the branch over a white sheet of paper to find spider mites, but the tell-tale dull gray color makes all Shimpaku growers cringe when they see it.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hard to tell from the pics but that could be Scale. I've always got a few junipers here and there that have a few scale insects on them and don't worry too much about it. If anything, they seem to prefer less vigorous trees, so pumping the trees up always seems to get rid of them. I think dormant oil would be a great idea, now and again late winter.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the help, I know the tree isn't dormant yet but the temp is dropping to 21 F tomorrow night. It will be in protection for a day or two before bringing back outside.

PS I tapped the branch and no mites that I saw. They may be setting up for next year though…

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It can handle 21 degrees like nothing. I would leave it out.
Mine regularly see minus 20 every year.
They've been out this year in the teens,frozen solid with no protection this year before I put them away.
Junipers are tough customers when it comes to cold.
And freezing temps will slow the bugs way down. To almost non-existent. It's one reason I don't have many pest problems I believe.

Top Bottom