Spider mites on eugenia?

chris38383838

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hi everyone!

This is my first post so I'll begin by introducing myself. I'm from Quebec city Canada and I started in bonsai 3 years ago. We have our bonsai association here, the Groupe Bonsai Quebec and we hold our monthly meetings. I learned a lot of things since I joined the association but I still have a very long way to go.

I've had a small eugenia for six months and it is my only tropical bonsai. It was doing fine until I brought it inside the house. After something like a month and a half, I realized that some of the leaves were discoloured while others had a sticky, shiny substance on them.

With the previous posts I read here, I thought it could be spider mites, so I began rinsing the leaves with a water jet, and I took off the leaves that were too affected. I also sprayed the foliage once per week with some trounce.

But here I am, three weeks later, and some leaves still get discoloured, and others have those golden shells that look like scale on them(see photo). Does anyone have an idea on what insect it could be and how to get rid of it? Thank you very much in advance!!

IMG_1103.jpg IMG_1105.jpg IMG_1106.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
First picture looks way to big to be spider mites, from the color i'd say a soft bodied scale.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That first photo definitely looks like scale. Where the leaves are white, look underneath...might be more culprits on the undersides.

chris38383838

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Ok thank you. I agree that it totally looks like scale. I was worried about the leaves discolouring so I'll clean the undersides and I'll give you some news! ^^

Thanks!

Chris

Top Bottom