Spider mites on kishu

bonsaiboyphx

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I have a nice Kishu, and did the white paper test, and am seeing a few spider mites.

I'm not seeing a ton of them on the paper, but they are there. When i smush them, I see brown/reddish streaks.

I've noticed a few other signs as well. Foliage ion the lower branches looks a bit duller than the top canopy. I dont think it looks super dull, but def not as bright green as the upper canopy.

And I also noticed a few small jumping spiders on this tree (figure they are eating the mites or insects as prey).

I am fairly new to bonsai, and this is my first mite issue, so looking for advice.

Also, do mites like other trees besides juniper or kishu. I tested all my other trees via the white paper test, and don't see them on the other trees, (willow leaf ficus, rain tree, procumbens juniper, trident, chinese elm). It's only the kishu.

Someone who I trust recommended Mite-X. Also, I read somewhere that submersing the entire tree in water for a period of time will get rid of them.

I am in Phoenix, AZ, hot and dry. I have my trees under Aluminet Shade cloth.

And I top water all the trees with RO/distilled water.

Since I noticed the mites on the kishu, I started hosing it down to try and get them off, but its not doing the trick. They are still present despite hard spraying with a hose.

Any tips, help, comments on how the foilage looks, best way to treat will be helpful. Hoping i caught this early and can get a handle on it before too much damage is done

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Attachments

• IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3033.jpg
    IMG_3033.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3034.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3035.jpg
    IMG_3035.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3037.jpg
    IMG_3037.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3038.jpg
    IMG_3038.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3039.jpg
    IMG_3039.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 43

weetree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have a nice Kishu, and did the white paper test, and am seeing a few spider mites.

I'm not seeing a ton of them on the paper, but they are there. When i smush them, I see brown/reddish streaks.

I've noticed a few other signs as well. Foliage ion the lower branches looks a bit duller than the top canopy. I dont think it looks super dull, but def not as bright green as the upper canopy.

And I also noticed a few small jumping spiders on this tree (figure they are eating the mites or insects as prey).

I am fairly new to bonsai, and this is my first mite issue, so looking for advice.

Also, do mites like other trees besides juniper or kishu. I tested all my other trees via the white paper test, and don't see them on the other trees, (willow leaf ficus, rain tree, procumbens juniper, trident, chinese elm). It's only the kishu.

Someone who I trust recommended Mite-X. Also, I read somewhere that submersing the entire tree in water for a period of time will get rid of them.

I am in Phoenix, AZ, hot and dry. I have my trees under Aluminet Shade cloth.

And I top water all the trees with RO/distilled water.

Since I noticed the mites on the kishu, I started hosing it down to try and get them off, but its not doing the trick. They are still present despite hard spraying with a hose.

Any tips, help, comments on how the foilage looks, best way to treat will be helpful. Hoping i caught this early and can get a handle on it before too much damage is done

Thanks in advance.

Richard
Nice Tree. I use FORBID 4F on a schedule.

bonsaiboyphx

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Nice Tree. I use FORBID 4F on a schedule.
I saw that mentioned in a prior post.

Expensive stuff (Spiromesifen)

Is it 1/4 teaspoon per gallon?

How often do you use it during an active infestation?

How often as a preventative?

Do I leave it on the tree, or wash it off later?

Should I wear protective gear or take precautions like don't let my dog around the trees for a few days?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I saw that mentioned in a prior post.

Expensive stuff (Spiromesifen)

Is it 1/4 teaspoon per gallon?

How often do you use it during an active infestation?

How often as a preventative?

Do I leave it on the tree, or wash it off later?

Should I wear protective gear or take precautions like don't let my dog around the trees for a few days?

Read the instructions and follow them. I don't let my dogs into the yard until whatever I sprayed is dry.

Better yet take the tree out of the dog accessible area to spray it and leave it out overnight

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use FORBID 4F on a schedule.
I don't usually have a HUGE spider mite problem, and I've heard a lot of Texanders complain about what a problem spidermites are for them, but spraying a single miticide on a schedule sounds like a great way to select for a strain of mites that are resistant to what you're spraying.

About 2 weeks ago I sprayed Floramite. I've got Avid & Forbid for a proper rotation (along w/ 3 different oils), but generally get enough knockdown on the one treatment that I don't have to spray again.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't usually have a HUGE spider mite problem, and I've heard a lot of Texanders complain about what a problem spidermites are for them, but spraying a single miticide on a schedule sounds like a great way to select for a strain of mites that are resistant to what you're spraying.

About 2 weeks ago I sprayed Floramite. I've got Avid & Forbid for a proper rotation (along w/ 3 different oils), but generally get enough knockdown on the one treatment that I don't have to spray again.
Yeah, sooner or later you create a resistant strain and then you're up a certain creek without a paddle so to speak.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would use the deep water, your dog will probably agree!

Perhaps getting that sumbytch into a bit more sun would be best.

Prevent prevent prevent!

This may start at a relevant section, but the entire thing is Worth watching.

Get Dem Brix Up!

Sorce

Top Bottom