spider mites

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Seems like there are spider mites on most of my plants. It looks minor but widespread. It's hard to see any damage but there are little webs all over the place.
My question is if this is a minor issue that is more cosmetic than anything or should I be more worried. I'll probably do a round of neem oil soon... I just don't see much damage but I assume it's not a good thing that they're there. I see them on my Korean Hornbeam, my Hackberry, a couple of my JBP, a couple shimpaku, my pomegranate... I think that's about it.
Thanks for you thoughts.
Also what's your method of control if any?
Ian

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I believe it was Brent that recommended several years ago to spray with fairly high pressure from the underside of the leaves. Has worked for me.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I believe neem oil is a dormant spray...but I could be wrong. I have he'd very limited success with the "safer" pesticides, and I go nuclear anytime I see pests like mites, aphids, or scale...Malathion, Diazanon, whatever I have out there. Hit trees every 4-7 days to interrupt their reproductive cycle.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Brian is right, nuke them, they can kill a tree pretty quick, once they get a foothold they can be hard to eradicate. I use a product by Bayer and it is effective. Try a combination of both, blasting with the water and then follow up with the spray.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you want FAST action soak all the plants 1 time under and over with Ortho Max Malation - not the nicest compound to use but everything has a time and place... :p

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just found some spider mites on one of my tree :mad: ...getting Bayer Advanced 3 in 1 - Insect disease and mite control tonight.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Just found some spider mites on one of my tree :mad: ...getting Bayer Advanced 3 in 1 - Insect disease and mite control tonight.

My understanding is that the imidicloprid in the bayer product is inneffective against spider mites, and can actually make the problem worse...I wouldn't use it.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My understanding is that the imidicloprid in the bayer product is inneffective against spider mites, and can actually make the problem worse...I wouldn't use it.

I think you are referring to their 2 in 1 tree and shrub. I use that but this is a different one and have miticide with it.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you are referring to their 2 in 1 tree and shrub. I use that but this is a different one and have miticide with it.

No... Studies have demonstrated that imidicloprid can actually increase spider mite populations. Therefore, I wouldn't use any product with imidicloprid when dealing with spider mites. I used the Bayer 3 in 1 for spider mites and never really got control over the problem. Last year, I used a pyrethrin based insecticide for repeated applications, along with a dilute horticultural oil application and the results were more positive.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No... Studies have demonstrated that imidicloprid can actually increase spider mite populations. Therefore, I wouldn't use any product with imidicloprid when dealing with spider mites. I used the Bayer 3 in 1 for spider mites and never really got control over the problem. Last year, I used a pyrethrin based insecticide for repeated applications, along with a dilute horticultural oil application and the results were more positive.

Thanks. I do not want to spray as much as possible so I won't kill the friendly spiders but I have other spray insecticide that will kill these mites already. I was hoping the systemic root drench will work. I know they also have a spray version for this but do not want that.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Questions have been raised about the effectiveness of many of the chemicals on spider mites. For instance, from http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7405.html:

"Spider mites frequently become a problem after applying insecticides. Such outbreaks are commonly a result of the insecticide killing off the mites’ natural enemies but also occur when certain insecticides stimulate mite reproduction. For example, spider mites exposed to carbaryl (Sevin) in the laboratory have been shown to reproduce faster than untreated populations. Carbaryl, some organophosphates, and some pyrethroids apparently also favor spider mites by increasing the level of nitrogen in leaves. Insecticides applied during hot weather usually appear to have the greatest effect, causing dramatic spider mite outbreaks within a few days."

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Questions have been raised about the effectiveness of many of the chemicals on spider mites. For instance, from http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7405.html:

"Spider mites frequently become a problem after applying insecticides. Such outbreaks are commonly a result of the insecticide killing off the mites’ natural enemies but also occur when certain insecticides stimulate mite reproduction. For example, spider mites exposed to carbaryl (Sevin) in the laboratory have been shown to reproduce faster than untreated populations. Carbaryl, some organophosphates, and some pyrethroids apparently also favor spider mites by increasing the level of nitrogen in leaves. Insecticides applied during hot weather usually appear to have the greatest effect, causing dramatic spider mite outbreaks within a few days."

Spider mites have been a pain in my rear since moving to GA. I know vigorous spraying of the foliage is an effective treatment and deterent, BUT I've had more fungal issues on my junipers over the last four years, as well, and wet foliage isn't ideal in that regard, either. I'm going to need to do more investigating on this one...no spider mites yet this year, but I know they're coming:(.

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I read on a blog from one of the American/Japanese apprentices (IIRC) that they use Malathion once or twice per month during the growing season. I started using Spectracide malathion this year and haven't seen any mites (but it's still early).

Be careful though, I oversprayed a bit onto my backyard fish tank and killed some of my goldfish.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I feel like I sometimes am repeating myself, but try the homeade stuff. The dishwashing liquid, cooking oil and alcohol. I have not used it for mites, but I don't think I have ever had a might problem. Maybe that says something right there. I have never heard of the soap solution failing anyone that has used it. Also, if something is non toxic, can be sprayed any time and any place, you do not need PPE and it works and is cheaper than everything, why not use it. After all these years, I am still trying to figure out why a person would not at least try it. If it works, you have a cheap, homemade, completely non toxic spray that you can spray any time that is very gentle on trees.

Rob

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I read on a blog from one of the American/Japanese apprentices (IIRC) that they use Malathion once or twice per month during the growing season. I started using Spectracide malathion this year and haven't seen any mites (but it's still early).

Be careful though, I oversprayed a bit onto my backyard fish tank and killed some of my goldfish.

I agree with you I use the Ortho Malathion this year after trying most every other thing around and homemade as well - this stuff works, and use caution, gloves and eye protection is a must :)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I feel like I sometimes am repeating myself, but try the homeade stuff. The dishwashing liquid, cooking oil and alcohol. I have not used it for mites, but I don't think I have ever had a might problem. Maybe that says something right there. I have never heard of the soap solution failing anyone that has used it. Also, if something is non toxic, can be sprayed any time and any place, you do not need PPE and it works and is cheaper than everything, why not use it. After all these years, I am still trying to figure out why a person would not at least try it. If it works, you have a cheap, homemade, completely non toxic spray that you can spray any time that is very gentle on trees.

Rob

Spider mites were a non-issue for me, as well, until I moved to GA, where the hot, dry summers with typical drought conditions produce a perfect environment for spider mites to thrive. The article Coh provided is quite enlightening to say the least, and certainly explains why spider mites are so prevalent and difficult to eradicate. It seems that horticultural oils and soaps are the most effective, so your homemade concoction may be helpful. I'll let you know if I use it, as well as how it works, good or bad.

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Rob

Thanks for the reminder. I keep intending to mix up a batch for testing, but have never gotten around to it. It's on my to-do list...I have generally used horticultural oils and/or insecticidal soap (like Safer's) but I'm running out of my stock of those so it would be a perfect time.

Chris

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have neem and cooking oil but the problem is Cedar Elm (the infected tree) is supposed to hate oil spray. I will try my other home remedy...detergent, water, and milk. I will report back if it worked.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. I keep intending to mix up a batch for testing, but have never gotten around to it. It's on my to-do list...I have generally used horticultural oils and/or insecticidal soap (like Safer's) but I'm running out of my stock of those so it would be a perfect time.

Chris

I usded to use Bonide all seasons horticultural oil concentrate. However, it still recommends ppe be worn and there are a bunch of precautions. The horticultural oil did work for what it ws used for, scale. However, when I went to the homemade stuff, I never went back. Usually, scale comes at the start of the season. However, a couple sprays with this homemade suff, elimnates it. I am not sure if blasting the trees with toxic stuff would rid the tree of scale permanently. I don't think anything will rid trees of anything permanently though.

Rob

Top Bottom