Spider Mites!!!

The Mule

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a narrow leaf weeping fig that has been having an on again off again spider mite problem for years. The tree has a gorgeous gnarled trunk and is really beautiful, especially when the mites are at bay and its leaves are flourishing. I'm in NYC, and the tree lives in a windowsill with north and east exposure year round. Winters can be very dry here and spider mites are always a threat. They used to wreak havoc on my cordylines and a few other plants I used to keep, until I finally got rid of them. I now keep succulents almost exclusively (spider mites don’t bother them), with the one exception being this ficus.

Whenever I see signs of mites (yellowing leaves, stickyness on the leaves, webbing, etc.), I take a look with my magnifying glass to confirm it is in fact mites. I then take action. I’ve tried spraying the tree with various soaps, pesticides, etc. I’ve tried predatory mites. I’ve given it showers… I’ve done pretty much everything anyone ever does in order to combat these little bastards. But inevitably they come back, often around this time of year. The only thing I can think to do at this point is to defoliate the tree, essentially cutting off the mites’ food source. But this is normally something I would only do in summer when the tree is putting out new growth. It seems dangerous to do that now. But otherwise, the tree is going to lose its leaves to the mites anyway. Can anyone offer any advice to help me rid this tree of this awful pestilence?

bdwarner

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've never had an issue with spider mites but neem oil in a spray bottle works great for me when dealing with scale bugs on my ficus. My benjamina gets them more often then the other.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been fighting these guys forever. They are my worst nightmare. Rotate chemicals. I have found they become immune to the same chemical easily. Also use neem oil. It's makes them go crazy and forget to eat. It also messes up their reproductive cycle.

The Mule

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether I've tried neem oil or not. I believe I have. I'm certainly willing to try again though. Is there a particular product I should track down? Or are pretty much all neem oil sprays the same?

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Your tree is indoors? Seems like you should be able to fix the issue if it's a controlled environment. My mites are always at their worst in the spring up until about mid summer then they taper off. Seems strange that they would be more of a problem now but if it's indoors I guess the heater air changes everything...
I've rotated neem, avid, bifenthrin, floramite, and forbid.
My strategy next year is to do better winter and very early spring spraying (mostly with neem) before leaves come out to get ahead of them...
little bastards...
Ian

The Mule

Seedling
Reaction score
Your tree is indoors? Seems like you should be able to fix the issue if it's a controlled environment. My mites are always at their worst in the spring up until about mid summer then they taper off. Seems strange that they would be more of a problem now but if it's indoors I guess the heater air changes everything...
I've rotated neem, avid, bifenthrin, floramite, and forbid.
My strategy next year is to do better winter and very early spring spraying (mostly with neem) before leaves come out to get ahead of them...
little bastards...
Ian

Yes, it's the dry heat in the apartments that does it. I run humidifiers but it still gets really dry. Would it be a mistake to defoliate the tree? I mean... It is what deciduous trees do in winter... But I have only ever defoliated in the spring or summer before. Would I risk killing the tree by doing it now?

The Mule

Seedling
Reaction score
So as an alternative to defoliating, would I be better off ordering Neem, Avid, Bifenthrin and maybe Bayer Advanced 3 in 1 (Imidacloprid, Tau-Fluvalinate, Tebuconazole) off of Amazon and spray the heck out of the tree?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Try the neem indoors, I would not spray the others you listed inside. Even the neem Id prefer to spray out in a garage and let dissipate for an hour or so before brining the tree back inside.

The other products are fine to spray outside.

Where are you located? Some of those products are illegal in some states.

The Mule

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm in NYC. I got this response from Hummert International, who deal with pesticides, etc:

"Spider mites are not easy to completely eradicate. Fortunately, they have a life cycle that is easier to control than other pests. First of all, you’re sure these are spider mites? Other bugs can show similar damage and symptoms.

If so, the best thing you can do to ruin their day is submerge the plant or at least the foliage in cold water for a minute or so. Do this every other day for a week and this should take care of all adults and nymphs. The only thing to survive this will be any eggs on the plant. So, in about 10 days do the same thing. You can use the same water (5 gallon bucket would work).

If the above is not feasible (plant too big, whatever) spray with what you’ve been using but be sure to do the following: 1.Make sure you get under the foliage and contact all leaf surfaces. 2.Make sure you make three treatments, each about a week apart. This will make sure you get all parts of the life cycle. Most pesticides won’t kill the egg stage. Once the eggs hatch they are susceptible. Even if you see no sign of the pest, treat three times.

One (or both) of the above should help take care of the mites. Keep your eye on other plants as mites will latch on to cacti also. Right now they’re just preferring the ficus."

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spider mites.... In my case with a small collection, hosing down the trees including all branches and underside of leaves every time you water. If i notice any pest on one of my trees, I normally hose all of my trees and houseplant for a month and works like a charm.

Hope that helps
Eric

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Knock on wood, but so far I haven't had major issues with mites. The few infestations I've gotten have been controlled pretty easily just by spraying the plants with water every day. I've also used horticultural oil successfully, have never tried neem.

Bigger problem has been scale, you can't dislodge the adults with water sprays and I don't think oils are effective against the adults. I've resorted to picking them off and using systemics (bayer), which generally seems effective. I do spray oil as well as that will take care of the immature (scale crawlers).

Good luck,

Chris

The Mule

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Going to try submerging the plant in cold water as the Hummert guy suggested. Will keep an eye on other plants too and be prepared to treat every plant in the apartment I suppose. Ugh...

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have many needle leaf ficus, big and small, and have never had any problems with spider mites, even when sitting next to azaleas that are crawling with them. I do spray the azaleas with Avid and it kills them all. It is pricey, but you can get a small amount (enough for quite a few treatments) on ebay. Still strange about the mites on the ficus, I have had them for 10-15 years and have never had any pests on them, they are the most trouble free plant that I have. Are you sure it is not something else? Light? Water? Soil?

John

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had them bad indoors.
Not a big fan of chems. But I had to do it.
Miracle grow Mite stuff in a green bottle.

Q-tipped under every inividual leaf. As to not spray" by children".

So far so good. I fertilized everything and they are growing like mad!

Sorce

Top Bottom