Spiraea.... how much roots do they need?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I got the cute lil spiraea last Saturday and it came in the plastic pot on the far right.

I repotted it yesterday in the middle ceramic pot and it ....without any root clipping... it takes up about 75% of the space and that's with all the roots. (hmm redundant)

Okay, what I would like to do is put it in the tall "sorta wrong for bonsai" pot on the far left.
Holding it up, it is ...well.... cute. :rolleyes:

Do you think it could take the root pruning necessary to get it in the green "cute" pot?
I would use small aka 50-50 with small lava.0303170722.jpg

Yours embarrasedly,

Mikey

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like this tree. I don't think it will look as good as you envision in that pot. Not because it's not Bonsai, just don't think it's the right pot. Just my thoughts.

As for the root pruning I think it can handle what would be required to get it in the pot. How did the roots look before the repot? Really healthy?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Roots looked very good.
I'm leaving it in the pictured lot.
Wired it a bit today and it is growing like a weed.
I'm going to let it go til it finishes flowering and then cut back hard.

I put a tiny juniper starter in that other pot.
It should be able to stay a looooooong time.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got the cute lil spiraea last Saturday and it came in the plastic pot on the far right.

I repotted it yesterday in the middle ceramic pot and it ....without any root clipping... it takes up about 75% of the space and that's with all the roots. (hmm redundant)

Okay, what I would like to do is put it in the tall "sorta wrong for bonsai" pot on the far left.
Holding it up, it is ...well.... cute. :rolleyes:

Do you think it could take the root pruning necessary to get it in the green "cute" pot?
I would use small aka 50-50 with small lava.View attachment 134542

Yours embarrasedly,

Mikey
I like that fertilizer ball on the soil of the rectangular pot in the upper right corner of the photo. I've used some fertilizer balls/rocks.....but mine are way smaller .....way-way smaller. You have like the ten-year fertilizer ball. Ha!

So, if I read your last post correct....you left the tree in the rectangle pot as shown in the photo. That's a good choice for now. That smaller, globe-like shape, pot would be right for the tree....well that's what I think anyway. The tree is young enough that it needs growth. What's in your mind for a target height in the end? And, target trunk diameter?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That's just a big rock.
I took it elsewhere before it rolled off and busted 9 pots in its path.

Spirea is a new one for me so I'll have to let it tell me how big and tall it wants to be.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That much root reduction is iffy. I root pruned one heavily thinking it was bullet proof. Took two years but
It died .

Maybe you do the reduction in two repottings? Place in a smaller container this year and prune to the chosen pot next year

Good luck

Top Bottom