Spiraea Nipponica "Snowmound"

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
I like to show you the progression of my Spiraea. It was a very cheap tree, bought for only 5,99 euro. My choice of this Spiraea was based on the very small leaves this species has. I gave it a try.
I bought it as a small shrub in dec 2016. It was less than a meter in height.2016 dec.JPG

The choice of the front was based of the nebari and the way the small trunk moved. After the first prune, there was not much left; only a small trunk of about 6 cm in height.
2016 after.JPG
A also repotted it in a big plastic container.
In the first growingseason It shooted very well: this was in the end of june:
2017 june.JPG

This was the result of the winterpruning, in january 2019. I also repotted it now in a smaller container, after I cleaned and pruned the roots.
2018 jan.JPG
I wanted to "build" the tree with a minimum of branches needed for a good bonsai: one at the left, one at the back, one at the right, and a top:
In june 2018 I reached that goal.
2018 june.JPG

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Later that season I changed my mind; first I wanted to make a formal Japanse style Moyogi. But my new goal was a more naturalistic, European style. So I had to grow more branches upward. August, 2019:

2019 aug.jpeg

Here is the bold version of it, in dec 2019:

2019 dec.jpeg

In 2020 I had the goal to get more branches on it, so clip and grow was a way to get that. Sept 2020:
2020 sept.jpeg

A year later: end of August 2021:

2021 aug.jpeg

Now in dec 2021, after it lost his foiliage, I did the winter pruning again. Every year a bit more refinement.
2021 dec.jpg

And ow, I have never seen a tree species with finer branches than this Spiraea. Take in consideration that this tree is only a bit less than 20 cm!

I also made a virtual so show my goal of this tree:

2021 spirea virt.jpg

…to be continued.

tangledtanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really cool to see the progression as well as the changes you made along the way when deciding to go in another direction.