Spiraea Nipponica "Snowmound"

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
I like to show you the progression of my Spiraea. It was a very cheap tree, bought for only 5,99 euro. My choice of this Spiraea was based on the very small leaves this species has. I gave it a try.
I bought it as a small shrub in dec 2016. It was less than a meter in height.2016 dec.JPG

The choice of the front was based of the nebari and the way the small trunk moved. After the first prune, there was not much left; only a small trunk of about 6 cm in height.
2016 after.JPG
A also repotted it in a big plastic container.
In the first growingseason It shooted very well: this was in the end of june:
2017 june.JPG

This was the result of the winterpruning, in january 2019. I also repotted it now in a smaller container, after I cleaned and pruned the roots.
2018 jan.JPG
I wanted to "build" the tree with a minimum of branches needed for a good bonsai: one at the left, one at the back, one at the right, and a top:
In june 2018 I reached that goal.
2018 june.JPG

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Later that season I changed my mind; first I wanted to make a formal Japanse style Moyogi. But my new goal was a more naturalistic, European style. So I had to grow more branches upward. August, 2019:

2019 aug.jpeg

Here is the bold version of it, in dec 2019:

2019 dec.jpeg

In 2020 I had the goal to get more branches on it, so clip and grow was a way to get that. Sept 2020:
2020 sept.jpeg

A year later: end of August 2021:

2021 aug.jpeg

Now in dec 2021, after it lost his foiliage, I did the winter pruning again. Every year a bit more refinement.
2021 dec.jpg

And ow, I have never seen a tree species with finer branches than this Spiraea. Take in consideration that this tree is only a bit less than 20 cm!

I also made a virtual so show my goal of this tree:

2021 spirea virt.jpg

…to be continued.

tangledtanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really cool to see the progression as well as the changes you made along the way when deciding to go in another direction.

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Now it's exactly 6 years ago since the start of the development of this little one. The species has surprised me positively: Very fine branching is possible. I'm surprised that I never see this species as a bonsai. Nice that i Found a real tree that is a look alike!

IMG_2982.jpeg
34427615661_cf77d35007_o.jpg

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice progression! I am impressed with how this species developed! Are you worried about inverse taper developing in the apex since so many branches originate from one spot?

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Hey thats my Oak tree! I took the photo in Richmond park, theres a naked one of it floating around somewhere. Nice to see that you replicated it, good work😊
Ha what a coincidence! It is not that i'm replicate that tree, I spotted your photo after I made the design. About he naked version: You mean this picture? ;-) No idea where I found your pictures btw....

23599859409_9f08cee048_o.jpg

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Very nice progression! I am impressed with how this species developed! Are you worried about inverse taper developing in the apex since so many branches originate from one spot?
Thats a really good point you made! Till now I wasn't worried about that..:)
I'm going to look critical to the top to see what is possible...

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
very nice. we have many hundreds at work, I may look through them and see if i can find one that has a good start. You did that species proud.
What species of spirea is this exactly. the flowers are not like any spirea i know. they look exactly like philadelphus (mock orange)

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Very nice tree Marco.

I've got two of those as a bush in my front and back yard.
I assume that your tree is formed with a lot of clip and grow.

I've never thought about this species for bonsai because they grow very straight and long branches if you don't prime them.

I will have a look at my bushes because the base of those is rather big after more than 25 years of growing.

Maybe I can start with ons of them as a nice start for a bonsai.

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Very nice tree Marco.

I've got two of those as a bush in my front and back yard.
I assume that your tree is formed with a lot of clip and grow.

I've never thought about this species for bonsai because they grow very straight and long branches if you don't prime them.

I will have a look at my bushes because the base of those is rather big after more than 25 years of growing.

Maybe I can start with ons of them as a nice start for a bonsai.
Thanks! I used both clip and grow, as wiring to shape this tree. But a strong bending is impossible because of the brittleness of the branches... When I began with this tree I choose it because of his little leaves. For the rest: I had no idea if this species was suitable for bonsai, but I gave it a try.. And this is the result so far.

Top Bottom