Spirea Japonica “magic carpet”

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey @JudyB id love your opinion on how you approach pot choices for your shohin trees. How would you handle a pot choice for a tree like the above one pictured? I know azaleas sometimes go in to unglazed pots, but I also know shohin trees are where you can be a bit more bold with pot choices and colors.
I would definitely look for something glazed and bold for this tree, even a nice two color painted pot would work well. A painted pot needs a bit of a complex tree to stand up to it. This tree has that going for it. I’d choose a oval blue and white painted pot with simple design.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would definitely look for something glazed and bold for this tree, even a nice two color painted pot would work well. A painted pot needs a bit of a complex tree to stand up to it. This tree has that going for it. I’d choose a oval blue and white painted pot with simple design.
Judy B! Coming through with the great advice! Thank you very much. I will def look for that combo and see if I can’t come up with a nice one.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The shape was the main thing. The feet are more subdued. The lip is more pronounced, and the small flat band just above the feet, are features I like. The Terra Cotta above it lacks a lip. It has a band, but it's not pronounced enough to be a lip.

And the color is in the white and blue pallet, which is what I think is needed to contrast with the pink flowers. Color could go from subdued, as in this one to fairly bold even a solid bright blue glaze could work.

I like Judy's color and pattern suggestions. But if that 3rd pot is in your collection, it is a good option for a couple years until you find a pot as Judy described.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The shape was the main thing. The feet are more subdued. The lip is more pronounced, and the small flat band just above the feet, are features I like. The Terra Cotta above it lacks a lip. It has a band, but it's not pronounced enough to be a lip.

And the color is in the white and blue pallet, which is what I think is needed to contrast with the pink flowers. Color could go from subdued, as in this one to fairly bold even a solid bright blue glaze could work.

I like Judy's color and pattern suggestions. But if that 3rd pot is in your collection, it is a good option for a couple years until you find a pot as Judy described.
Unfortunately the pot is not in my collection. But an unglazed round in similar style and dimensions can be found pretty easily. I also like Judy’s idea, but I’m worried about excessive dieback on this tree and don’t want to buy a highly unique pot only to have the tree under perform or die. I’ve been reading from multiple people that their spirea has experienced pretty significant dieback each year. Before I commit to a truly original pot, I’d like to see how this tree handles a few more seasons of bonsai life in a less expensive pot.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Unfortunately the pot is not in my collection. But an unglazed round in similar style and dimensions can be found pretty easily. I also like Judy’s idea, but I’m worried about excessive dieback on this tree and don’t want to buy a highly unique pot only to have the tree under perform or die. I’ve been reading from multiple people that their spirea has experienced pretty significant dieback each year. Before I commit to a truly original pot, I’d like to see how this tree handles a few more seasons of bonsai life in a less expensive pot.

I have three spirea japonica ‘neon flash’ that I dug out of the garden at our house when we moved in. Last fall I pruned one of them back pretty hard, and the other two I left alone. The fall pruning resulted in extremely extensive dieback which almost killed that one. The two that were left alone still had some die back after being left outdoors all winter in Denver climate, but not nearly as severe. If I were trying to develop any fine ramification, I would definitely protect.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This tree definitely deserves a glazed pot. To help with color selection, I refer to this color wheel at canva.com

When dealing with multiple colors, I like to use the triadic option. Here’s the result for the foliage and flower colors:
935E1FDB-CE30-498A-89F3-4CF602A48012.png

If you use the complementary function, here’s a similar result just putting in the trunk color:
89D9BE37-89C0-4E98-A78E-FF9D30A099BA.png

Here’s the triadic when skewed more towards new and established foliage color:
329986B1-93D3-4AC2-94FE-510C839AC32E.png

If you choose complementary using established foliage color, it comes out more purple:
9482BAD9-D408-4FF4-A49F-EC70F76E28F5.png

I agree with @JudyB, glazed and bold for this tree. 💥💥💥

Attachments

• 021FF6BD-42CE-4DEB-9649-74AF7798095A.png
    021FF6BD-42CE-4DEB-9649-74AF7798095A.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 2

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree definitely deserves a glazed pot. To help with color selection, I refer to this color wheel at canva.com

When dealing with multiple colors, I like to use the triadic option. Here’s the result for the foliage and flower colors:
View attachment 389313

If you use the complementary function, here’s a similar result just putting in the trunk color:
View attachment 389315

Here’s the triadic when skewed more towards new and established foliage color:
View attachment 389319

If you choose complementary using established foliage color, it comes out more purple:
View attachment 389318

I agree with @JudyB, glazed and bold for this tree. 💥💥💥
Yeah I think a blue and white glazed would be really great. Maybe that on a dark bodied clay. I thought purple also, but I’m not sold on that idea just yet. Helpful images though thanks Renny!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Probably too small/shallow, but the glaze looks nice.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have completely allowed this one to grow untouched. I want as many shoots to fully harden off with anticipation of some dieback. Though I’m thinking that if i give the tree a chance to lignify fully before dormancy that i will not get dieback like others have reported with theirs. Well see.
5069C013-536E-4030-A309-93BDA3B188BD.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mature, lignified branches definitely have a better chance of surviving cold winters.
It’s something I think I have not been great about and something I feel I see too often. I/we all want our trees looking good and in shape all the time but too often they are cut back when they shouldnt be and the winter does a number on them. Ive got a number of deciduous at the moment that are shaggy and out of shape but will hopefully experience a strong resistance to winter colds.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
It’s something I think I have not been great about and something I feel I see too often. I/we all want our trees looking good and in shape all the time but too often they are cut back when they shouldnt be and the winter does a number on them. Ive got a number of deciduous at the moment that are shaggy and out of shape but will hopefully experience a strong resistance to winter colds.

I usually stop pruning most trees around July 15, which is roughly 90 days before our first frost. Though lately first frost is getting to be unpredictable. Last year, we had a hard cold freeze before Nov 1, dipping to near zero (-16 C). A year or two earlier first frost wasn't until December. So our first and last freeze dates are not as predictable as they used to be.

As a general rule, for most trees, pruning stops about 90 days before first frost.

Autumn pruning can start right about first frost, as the cold will keep trees from putting out tender new growth. Some species tolerate autumn pruning better than others. I usually don't autumn prune, I usually wait until spring, after the tree wakes up.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had a bit of a scare with this guy. I had left the growth to extend after the flowers dried up and I cut back. Well, as the newest growth extended and hardened off the leaves began forming yellow spots then browning from the inside out. Which is a bad sign in my experience. I tried to just stay on top of watering properly and plenty of sun. I ended up losing all of the leaves only for the tree to begin to re flush. I will probably lose quite a bit of twinging over the winter but that’s par for the course if you ask me. It’s also got a nice yellow tinge at the moment which is a nice fall yellow.
32EAB89F-69A7-4E2D-9BDB-118F1ECCC164.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dammit, now I want one, lol. Great progress, good luck through the winter
So far so good. It’ll be interesting to see how much of the twigging dies. This’ll be the first winter that I’m bringing several trees into my unheated garage. This being one of them. With all that said though, they back bud and push growth so fast and readily that I’m confident I could grow a quality silhouette and canopy every year.

Top Bottom