Spirng color, summer color spruce pics

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thought some might find this interesting. Pics taken 1 month apart. Green new growth in May, Blue in June.:D

Sorry about the typo in the title.

Rob

Spring

Summer

Last edited:

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for posting these, this is still my favorite tree of yours! Im happy to see it progressing, and i love the color!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you getting backbuds?

I pinched mine in late April, and it's setting backbuds at the base of this year's growth. Even some closer to the trunk.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Are you getting backbuds?

I pinched mine in late April, and it's setting backbuds at the base of this year's growth. Even some closer to the trunk.

Hi Adair, I think there are some back buds coming in. If so, they are still very small. I cut this year and did not pinch. Since this tree was styled only 1 year ago. When the tree progresses, then I will probably pinch. One good thing is, with the exception of the main trunk area, this tree back buds everywhere, seemingly even without pruning.

Rob

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not to answer for Adair, but new growth is very soft. So much so that you must be careful not to crush it when you pinch.

Rob

You must be pinching it very early. How soon after the buds have opened are you beginning the process? Early May or so?

I love the blue, btw. And this tree is a stunner.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You must be pinching it very early. How soon after the buds have opened are you beginning the process? Early May or so?

I love the blue, btw. And this tree is a stunner.

Thank you. Yes, I cut them about 4 weeks ago. I cut when I think they are done extending. Before the stems harden off.

Rob

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I pinched when the new shoots just opened up. They're quite soft. With one hand, you hold the base of the new shoot. With the other, you pinch. The trick is to not break any of the needles when you pinch, break it so that the stem breaks. You don't want broken needles. You grab the tip with the fleshy part of your finger and thumb so that you can roll them forward (bring the nails together). Your nails will slip under the needles that remain on the tree and not damage them. And the stem should break off cleanly.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice Rob. Cool how they change color. My ezo is still pretty green...needles longer for now, but tons of buds setting for next year, all up and down the branches.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just beautiful. This is just a great tree. The color makes it even better. I just love this tree.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree looks terrific! I prefer the bluish tone of the more mature foliage, plus I think the trees look better when all the needles are similar in appearance.

Reaction score
Rob,
I remember visiting Johns with you and you finding that tree, ruminating for a while over it (and hiding it from the rest of us! lol) and then buying it.
Great find and history.
john

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Rob,
I remember visiting Johns with you and you finding that tree, ruminating for a while over it (and hiding it from the rest of us! lol) and then buying it.
Great find and history.
john

lol.. Not hiding it, just holding on to it like a lion that has just killed it's fresh prey and holds it close to take the first bite.;)

Yes, it has a good history. For those interested. This tree was collected from Canada about 10 years ago by Dan Robinson. It was then passed to John Kirby who developed the material for many years but did not style it.

Here is a pic of the tree when I bought it.

Rob

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just saw this post. Great job on this little spruce Rob! I like the girth to height ratio. I will be asking a couple of you questions on Spruce. Got an Ezo from Brent back in April. He is holding it for me and should get it within the next couple of weeks or so. Very similar to Brian's tree. Slowly working myself towards conifers but I still love my maples LOL!!! ;)

Top Bottom