Split in trunk

RJS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Over the winter a Korean Hornbeam that I had planted in the ground suffered a split between the two top branches, probably due to heavy snow. I tried binding it and applying some cut paste but it didn't do anything. I have heard of people using crazy glue or some other glue to mend the break. I really hate to have to choose between one branch or the other. Any suggestions about or experiences with glue? Thanks.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A picture would help tremendously. There are a few options, but they can depend on the size of the branches, location in relation to one another,etc.

RJS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
My cell phone camera is crap so, trying not to sound like a moron...the split is between two branches, one which is the trunk...and another which could be the trunk with some wiring and patience, but is also a significant side branch. We are talking about 3/8 inch where the split occurs. As far as their relationship to one another, if you made the 'V' sign with your index and middle finger you'd be right about the angle of where the split occurs.

Again, these are the top two branches

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pictures are worth a thousand words, even if the camera is crap. It will give a much better idea of what's going on.

But, basically, you be patient and did what you did before. You wire the two back together, forget about the glue, it might even hamper the healing between the two. You want to pull the broken branching back together as closely as possible and wire them into position. Then let them alone and allow the extension growth above the split to grow free for the entire season.

The re-wired branches should be able to rejoin along the split as they generate scar tissue. Glue will only get in the way of that process...

BTW, if there is no active growth above the split on either branch or if either branch is not green under the bark when you scratch it with your thumbnail--it means the particular branch is dead and cannot be revived.

RJS

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
The branches are very alive. Full of leaves. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom