Split trunk Japanese maple

mds_1978

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone, this is a Japanese maple I bought from a bonsai nursery in 2017. I thought I'd share some progression photos as it's leafed out and is looking quite nice now.

I think the primary branches are pretty much done, so I'll be working on the ramification this year.

Any comments/critique very welcome.

August 2017
IMG_20170806_162436.jpg

May 2019
DSC_0009.jpg

March 2020

DSC_0068.jpg

July 2020
DSC_0018.jpg

November 2020
DSC_0006.jpg

August 2021
DSC_0029.jpg

February 2022
DSC_0017.jpg

April 2022
DSC_0033.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice little tree. You asked for opinions, sooo--I think the tree would benefit greatly if the left-hand shorter trunk were reduced to the first branch. As it is now, the tree has a dual apex for no real reason. The first branch is simply too high on the trunk to be visually considered a second trunk--it's just a large upward growing branch that detracts from the primary apex. Additionally, that high forward facing branch is also distracting, crossing over the plane of both apexes. It also comes off the trunk at an awkward angle.

Reducing both will likely result in some decent backbudding and new shoots that can be developed into branches...

mds_1978

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice little tree. You asked for opinions, sooo--I think the tree would benefit greatly if the left-hand shorter trunk were reduced to the first branch. As it is now, the tree has a dual apex for no real reason. The first branch is simply too high on the trunk to be visually considered a second trunk--it's just a large upward growing branch that detracts from the primary apex. Additionally, that high forward facing branch is also distracting, crossing over the plane of both apexes. It also comes off the trunk at an awkward angle.

Reducing both will likely result in some decent backbudding and new shoots that can be developed into branches...
Oh wow, that's pretty radical, but I like the suggestions. When would be a good time to do this? In the summer once the spring growth has hardened off?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh wow, that's pretty radical, but I like the suggestions. When would be a good time to do this? In the summer once the spring growth has hardened off?
Late next winter would be ideal. You could do it now, though.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Will heal better if you chop it while it is actively growing....

mds_1978

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai4me suggests doing hard chops in the mid summer semi-dormant period, so I will wait until then. Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom