Split Trunk on this small Shimpaku

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey I guess I didn't catch the truck split on this small Shimpaku Juniper I bought over the weekend. Guess the noob coming out so don't laugh at me to hard. I'm not gonna do anything g til spring comes back around but anyone have any ideas what to do with it? Maybe just let it grow s few years and get other branches, then cut this part out or maybe wrap the trunks around something let em grow back together to have some kind of split Trunk design. I'm not sure, what do u guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20171130_162640.jpg
    IMG_20171130_162640.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20171130_162702.jpg
    IMG_20171130_162702.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20171130_162713.jpg
    IMG_20171130_162713.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 78

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Well considering how straight the trunk is otherwise this may give you the opportunity to introduce some character. Splitting the trunk further could allow the two sections to be bent in interesting sympathetic ways. Split carefully and wrap them in raffia or the like before wiring. Good luck.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It was split a while ago... at least a year maybe more. Your tree is just a small thing and easily wired and bent. Consider some aggressive styling and the trunk split will be less obvious.

Short answer is that if you put that tree in the ground and let it grow freely for five years, the trunk split would be gone.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine came with a lot of what seemed to be notching scars under the branches.

Seems intentional, like a quick way to get thing going in a direction.

Nice to know they can handle that type of damage!

I might remove that one middle sized more horizontal trunk....and grow the other three out as a triple or clump style, and layer it at the start of the clump when it is almost finished...(6-7 years).

Ripping it further seems will just remove a side, and sawing it to further split it will look unnatural with all that healing already.

If you bend that trunk to wazoo .....
You'll just have a trunk bent to wazoo with three more that need to be bent to wazoo...
And in my head...that's not a very pleasing picture.

Unless wazoo is your thing....
But I honestly don't even know what the hell it means!

Sorce

Top Bottom