Spots on my Trident.

skychaser

Sapling
Reaction score
I've had my Trident in a Bonsai pot about 2 weeks. It gets water every day. It sits on a shelf about 18inches from west window. I have the 3 color full spectrum grow lights on it at 1/2 strength. I noticed today it has spots on maybe 15 leaves. After frost time it's going outside. I plan on putting it in a mesh pot as soon as possible. The nursery said it was put in the pot last year.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm new to Bonsai.

Attachments

• IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 32

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It looks like a fungus from the pics. Those appear to be fruiting bodies. It may be the pic quality though.
Tridents will not survive indoors full time, and many have difficulty keeping them indoors part time.

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have a southern window? In your location west facing is probably fairly low level sun. The spots, I find them difficult to detect on my viewer, so I can’t actually see any. @MrWunderful is right, I’ve read that a lot of times, survival needs the outdoor sun, air humidity and wind. This tree looks like it has been indoors for quite some time, several months. Ohio....hmmm....you have a ways to go before your frost free. If it’s warm I’d begin to acclimate the tree to the outdoors and only bring it indoors if it get frightfully cold. However, you know your climate best.

skychaser

Sapling
Reaction score
I'll spray it just in case , move it to southern window and take it in and out daily. since I don't know anything I thought maybe the 1/2 strength artificial light was too strong.
thank guys.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll spray it just in case , move it to southern window and take it in and out daily. since I don't know anything I thought maybe the 1/2 strength artificial light was too strong.
thank guys.
I think the southern exposure will help acclimate the tree to going outdoors really soon.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
thank guys.
My tridents are in full sun for 12 hrs a day, for what its worth.

With keeping temperate trees indoor, I have heard that there is no such thing as “too much light”. But all my trees are outside so I dont know from personal experience.

skychaser

Sapling
Reaction score
My tridents are in full sun for 12 hrs a day, for what its worth.

With keeping temperate trees indoor, I have heard that there is no such thing as “too much light”. But all my trees are outside so I dont know from personal experience.
I was afraid that the artificial light made the spots. I have a few maples that's going outside soon. thanks

Top Bottom