Spotting leaves

Girib

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all, new to bonsai.
I’ve had this plant as a gift for 2 years now, fairly certain it’s a ficus as it’s from a big box store. Any I care for it dearly but it looks like it’s sick, got some grayish spotting. It’s had spider mites before and so I’ve treated it with a diluted neem solution.
Wanted to post here to see if anyone can help identify what is ailing it.
Thanks and Regards

Attachments

• 83DF8017-692C-480D-AB9B-7B977222BB1F.jpeg
    83DF8017-692C-480D-AB9B-7B977222BB1F.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 16E1FDBC-381D-47ED-A6A2-D5B7E5BAE589.jpeg
    16E1FDBC-381D-47ED-A6A2-D5B7E5BAE589.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 25

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It should be outdoors in full sun, watered every day it doesn't rain. New leaves will grow.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The best I can say is that is indeed a ficus of some sort.
Hard to get a really good idea of overall health with just a couple of shots of the leaves but the whole tree does look rather sick.
Ficus can live indoors all year round but you will need to provide optimum growing conditions - light, temp, nutrients, humidity and water. Light and humidity are usually the limiting factors in our human habitation. having the tree outside for summer gives it a chance to build upo strength to cope with the rest of the year in the challenging indoor climate. note that full sunlight will usually burn leaves that are accustomed to the darkness of indoors so very little direct sun for a few weeks if you choose and are able to move it outside.
The silvery spots on the leaves looks like mite damage. Check to see if they are back because they can be really difficult to really get rid of. You have not mentioned how long ago the mite infestation was. If recent this may just be the damage from that. Those damaged leaves are damaged. They won't get better. If the problem is gone, new leaves should be healthy if/when they grow. Your task is now to make conditions conducive so the tree can grow new leaves - nutrients, water and plenty of good light.
I can see some yellow leaves in the background. That can be from fungal infection but is more usually just older leaves dying at the end of their natural lifespan. We need to allow the tree to grow new leaves faster than older leaves die.

I hestitate to mention defoliation because really weak trees may not have the strength to recover but normall, leaves can be removed from healthy trees and new ones will grow back.

My recommendation for your tree: food, water, adequate light for at least a month or 2. Allow it to grow strongly for the rest of this season then consider cutback and defoliation next summer.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
yep, I'd say you have spider mite again.

Ficus is a tree that if need be, can be grown well indoors, under lights, or even at a large window that lets in a lot of light.

Best growth is outdoors, in most of the country, people summer their ficus outdoors and bring them back to the windowsill or under lights for winter, if they are in a cold winter area.

So treat for spider mites. Treat all the houseplants in your home for spider mites, because if they are on your ficus, it is a sure bet they are also on your other plants. If you don't treat everything growing in the home, the mites hiding on the other plants will reinfect your Ficus as soon as the pesticide residuals wear off.

Top Bottom