Spring at the International Bonsai Arboretum (William Valavanis)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bill Valavanis did a walk-through video of his nursery with Bonsai Empire the other day. I don't recall seeing it posted by anyone else though I could have missed it. In any case, the link is below. Spring has come slowly to upstate NY this year but everything is exploding with growth now that we've had some sunny days in the 70s and 80s.

The only place I've seen the video is on facebook but it looks to be freely available even to non-members.

Video of International Bonsai Arboretum

Edit to add - recent blog post from Bill featuring spring trees.

Valavanis Blog - Spring 2020

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Watched it live enjoyed it all the way through

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Can someone explain in greater detail what he is saying around the 38min mark? Two trident maples; one with drastic pruning and one with growing it out.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can someone explain in greater detail what he is saying around the 38min mark? Two trident maples; one with drastic pruning and one with growing it out.
The tree on the right was grown from a seedling started in 1980, always grown in a small container. So built small to large, essentially.

The tree on the left started from a large nursery tree, which was grown in the ground before being dug up and potted around 1980. It already had a trunk that was probably a couple of inches across. Bill cut the tree way back (trunk chopped) and regrew the upper trunk and branches. Thus, drastic pruning or working a large tree down to a small one.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Congrats Bill, You're looking good! Hope to be able to see you this Fall at NBE

Top Bottom