Spring bonsai problems...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi all,

For the first time in a few years I am having real problems bringing my bonsai out of hibernation. The trees have moved around a lot, unfortunately, and I am worried that their current home outside my window is not providing enough light.

My trees are 2 Elms, and a Yew. They've been with me for several years since I moved from Vermont to NYC. They lived for 2 years on a friends roof that got full sun, and I never had any problems overwintering, or otherwise.

This year I over-wintered them in a friends backyard, that gets way less sun. I also know that he took them inside for a few days during an early spring snowstorm (against my orders for him to just leave them where they were). It was an honest mistake, and I'm pretty sure it was inconsequential, because these trees are just not getting enough direct light.

They were in the backyard until a few weeks ago, when I moved them outside on my window ledge, which has an E/NE exposure with tons of indirect light off of the adjacent building, but not a ton of direct sun.

The trees are suffering. The elms have not broken bud yet. One has big buds, but I am not sure if they are dead, as they are not turning green.

As for the yew, you can clearly see that most of it is dead.

My question is this: should I continue to fertilize the trees and just heavily prune them, removing all the dead stuff? Or, should I scramble to find them a new place to live, because they will surely die under these conditions. Should they go back to the shady back yard?

The confusing thing to me is that I know Yews grow well in shady conditions. I suppose this one just got used to a lot more sunlight? Out of the three trees it does seem to have the best looking foliage, with small buds visible, but the buds look kind of bad. Will they survive?

I can certainly upload many more HQ photos, I just figured I would post this and see if anyone could help!

Thanks for any input, or advice. Like I said, I've had these trees for 7 or so years with little issue, so while I'm not exactly a bonsai newbie, I am certainly not an expert.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_4157.JPG
    IMG_4157.JPG
    382.9 KB · Views: 40

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you just need to be more patient. Spring this year was a little odd in the north east. It was warm in the beginning of March then it got cold again. I had trees with buds that were just starting to push then they just stalled for about 3 weeks. They have just started moving again. Leave them be for another couple of weeks and see what you get. I would wait until you are sure of the dieback then start to prune them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aye.

Welcome to Crazy!

The yew looks done..

The elms look fine.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think you just need to be more patient. Spring this year was a little odd in the north east. It was warm in the beginning of March then it got cold again. I had trees with buds that were just starting to push then they just stalled for about 3 weeks. They have just started moving again. Leave them be for another couple of weeks and see what you get. I would wait until you are sure of the dieback then start to prune them.
Thanks-- with the Yew, it is pretty obvious that everything except one side is dead, so I've been lightly pruning with my hands only (no sharps). I won't freak out yet, thanks for the input! What are your thoughts on fertilization?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Aye.

Welcome to Crazy!

The yew looks done..

The elms look fine.

Sorce
Thanks man! I am glad to be here. The yew has dropped a lot of foliage, except for one side which seems to be OK. What are your thoughts on fertilization?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks man! I am glad to be here. The yew has dropped a lot of foliage, except for one side which seems to be OK. What are your thoughts on fertilization?

Don't fertilize - it is not medicine. Looks to be they need Sun and water, they seem way to dry to me in the picture. Fertilize after they wake up and be patient! Strange Spring here as well.

Grimmy

Top Bottom