Spring Box Store Challenge Reminder

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just a reminder there are only two weeks left to enter the 2015 Spring Box Store Challenge. The deadline to enter is May 1st. Everything has been moving along very smoothly and I really appreciate everybody's positive comments. Seems like the folks up north couldn't catch a break from Old Man Winter but maybe things are looking up and the nurseries will start opening. I sure hope so because I love competition. Thanks everyone!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man, we can just make it.
I hope to enter soon.

May 1st is deadline for entry pics/receipt, then 2 weeks for outside email?

Sorce

Reactions: Vin

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I honestly don't know if I will be able to participate. Back to the doctor's today...I can't even make it to a nursery. I've been home bound for a little over a month. :(...but hopefully I will kick this thing and find something.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For me, here's what the challenge is all about:

I really could care less if I win or not. But, I would like to see how my project stacks up against the other trees and gauge my progress in the art. I purchased my material last month and worked it the best I could. I selected something I wasn't familiar with and a design I felt would challenge me. I have learned from the experience in so many ways. I choose a Callistemon (Bottle Brush Tree) and learned that the branches are extremely very flexible and can easily be wired into almost any shape you like. I also learned that you can remove over two thirds of the foliage and the tree will laugh at you and respond by saying "is that all you got!" Since submitting my tree It has began back budding profusely. In fact, it has one shoot about 2 inches long already. Another interesting thing I found with the tree is that the bark near the soil line is very weak and can break away easily if you're not careful. So, for me it has never been about winning or losing. Good, bad or indifferent it's all about the journey. I'm looking forward to sharing my work with everyone in June.

grooup

Seed
Reaction score
Seems like the folks up north couldn't catch a break from Old Man Winter but maybe things are looking up and the nurseries will start opening. I sure hope so because I love competition. Thanks everyone!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I honestly don't know if I will be able to participate. Back to the doctor's today...I can't even make it to a nursery. I've been home bound for a little over a month. :(...but hopefully I will kick this thing and find something.

Sorry to hear this. Hope you get to feeling better.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry to hear this. Hope you get to feeling better.
Thanks...I just can't talk. I needed a breathing treatment after talking to the doctor and throwing up from doing so.

So more meds...I'm not contagious...I'm not to try and carry on conversations. By the time I got back from the hour and a half drive back home and talking with the pharmacy I was so sick I couldn't drive myself home. My husband fortunately was working in town and drove me home.

I did get an inhaler for if I'm out and can't get to my breathing machine and have a horrible spell. But today I had a migraine from coughing and was done in today. Hoping that with this treatment I can get to a nursery soon!!! Though I got refills on my breathing treatments...and talk of X-rays which is foolish...my lungs are clear. I refused them today...but she wants them Monday if I'm still coughing.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Seems like the folks up north couldn't catch a break from Old Man Winter but maybe things are looking up and the nurseries will start opening. I sure hope so because I love competition. Thanks everyone!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dar.
I talked to a feller yesterday about some Muppet Master pneumonia,
Scary. Please get well and take it easy.

You can always join the Selmfie contest whenever!

Take care.

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So, my Azalea is blooming it's face off now! I will be posting a pic of it soon to start the 14 day ticker... I feel pretty much the same way as you about the contest Vin- who cares if you win? This isn't football! It is Bonsai, and if we participate and wind up with a new tree that has potential- we ALL WIN, right? Aww isn't that cute.. LOL

Seriously, I am already excited about the trees I have gotten from my shopping trips for this challenge... They may not be great Bonsai after 14 days, but there is potential for them to BE nice ones one day I think...

jedge76

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree with the winning vs losing (or not winning) sentiments...my excitement centers around working a tree for a purpose and then having Walter Pall give his critique. That should be fun.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Local nursery is stocked up but...
This was the best I could find, pretty bare for evergreen but was labelled as such.
I do have an idea to try something strange with this scraggler but lacking in time for a pretty obviously marginal project, we'll see, I may still try, haven't purchased yet.
IMG_20150412_130201286.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, time has flew by and the end of the challenge is just around the corner. Friday is the last day to enter the contest; sad but true. There is a handful of entries but nothing like we had in the Fall Challenge. Of course, that was to be expected as this one is indeed much more of a challenge and many obstacles have to be addressed. Personally, I feel I've learned much more during this challenge than the last. There is still time for those that want to participate if you can find some material. Many thanks to everyone on El Nutto! It's been a blast!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
LAST CALL FOR BONSAI ALL! Today is the final day for submissions for the Spring Box Store Challenge. I promise you this one will be better than the Fall Challenge once the "Twist" has been disclosed. I hope those that have participated had fun and learned at least one thing from the experience, I know I did. I wish all the participants the best of luck. A special thanks goes out to all Bonsai Nut members for your support early on.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Justin Case (that one is for Smoke), the deadline to enter the challenge is midnight tonight in the time zone in which you live. If you enter today, you'll have until May 14th to get you final photos emailed.

Top Bottom