Spring Collection Scouting & Prep Questions

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Okay so, I'm getting smarter about my collection practices lol I figure this time of year pest should be minimal, but should hopefully still have some leaves on branches for identification.

This weekend I intend to go and do some scouting for material to collect in the spring, mainly Oaks (Quercus Stellata - Post Oak are what I know for sure are in the area, maybe Pin Oak also, and Pistache and I was looking for advice on how to prep the tree for easiest collection. Things like what type of markers do you use? Spray Paint? Something tied to the tree? Should I try and clear as much of the ground near the base of the tree? Should I try and dig a partial trench around the tree now and actually complete removal in spring?

Just any advice anyone can share would be appreciated

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am also scouting for possible trees for spring collection, I have a tree I have been preparing for collection for nearly 2 years now it’s a Utah Juniper. I have fetilized it several times hoping to build strength for the collection.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I clear the debris around the base toake sure it's something I want to use, take pics to study over the winter. And yeah usually just some orange marking tape to mark them.
Not sure about the oaks but you have different stuff than me. I look for Scots, larch, hormbeam and crabapple. No trenching, all the reserves are in those roots right now, make those cuts when the buds start swelling in the spring. The energy will be in the tree now and you can do a drastic root reduction at digging time, and get it into a small pot

Top Bottom