Spring comes early bun the desert

DryBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Technically, it’s still winter. But we’re seeing daily average temps of 55F (lowest) and 75F (highest). The juniper is having new growth after just one month of dormancy (temps of 35F to 55F). I might have to repot by February.

Any danger to the tree from such a short dormancy?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've doubted "dormancy requirements", "chill hours" or whatever that BS is before.

Don't think I cared to read the papers if they were ever presented because it falls into the realm of Time of which mere man can not fathom.

Basic basic is, if a tree has a default it is to grow, the life side.
Dormancy is an evolved reaction to cold which they don't grow in. The no life side.

The "bonsai" argument largely revolves around indoor plants never recieving dormancy, which can be rebutted with the whole indoor thing.

"Scientifical" arguments can be rebutted with the mere man argument.

Seems dumb to add a 3rd "basic" to the double "basiced" so.....

Basically....

More warm is on the life side , so no problem.
More cold is on the death side.

You're on the right side of the balance.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've doubted "dormancy requirements", "chill hours" or whatever that BS is before.

Don't think I cared to read the papers if they were ever presented because it falls into the realm of Time of which mere man can not fathom.

Basic basic is, if a tree has a default it is to grow, the life side.
Dormancy is an evolved reaction to cold which they don't grow in. The no life side.

The "bonsai" argument largely revolves around indoor plants never recieving dormancy, which can be rebutted with the whole indoor thing.

"Scientifical" arguments can be rebutted with the mere man argument.

Seems dumb to add a 3rd "basic" to the double "basiced" so.....

Basically....

More warm is on the life side , so no problem.
More cold is on the death side.

You're on the right side of the balance.

Sorce
You're getting cunning with Cunningham's law my friend ;-)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Junipers do not seem to have any problem with lack of dormancy. They are one of the traditional bonsai species that grow well in tropical parts of Australia.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're getting cunning with Cunningham's law my friend ;-)

I'm talking about length of time that is unfathomable and you, a scientist, in record time, post a basically nonsense internet indicator that there is such thing as a wrong answer.

Sounds biased😉.

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of the studies of chill hour requirements were done on commercial crops - fruit trees for instance. Those requirements are well documented and the mechanisms well understood. Lots of trees are more flexible than that, and junipers are about as flexible as they come.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In Southern Califonia repotting season starts early. I’ve already done all my conifers. As soon as night time temps stop getting below 40° go for it. I’m still waiting to do my deciduous though.

DryBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Learn something new everyday.

I didn’t know about Cunningham’s Law until I googled it.

I didn’t know I can winter-repot at >40F until Ruddigger’s post.

And everyone’s post is yet more tools in my toolbox. Thanks.

Top Bottom