Spring Flush Growth in bad direction

Reaction score
So you are staring at your maple in early Spring and see new growth appearing in a place that is not appropriate (top/bottom/crotch/etc.). Do you have to let it finish its growth or can you pinch it off really before it fully emerges?

I know this may seem a rookie question but I've not really been focusing on deciduous trees yet.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No need to let it grow where its not needed. That said, letting one branch (or multiple even) grow unrestrained while restricting growth elsewhere will allow the tree to bleed off energy that you don't want going into the restricted growth. Just make sure the unrestrained growth won't produce unwanted swelling.

Reaction score
No need to let it grow where its not needed. That said, letting one branch (or multiple even) grow unrestrained while restricting growth elsewhere will allow the tree to bleed off energy that you don't want going into the restricted growth. Just make sure the unrestrained growth won't produce unwanted swelling.
Okay, I think I've got it.
Leave it IF you want to bleed off energy and it won't result in unwanted swelling.
Remove if you need energy going in other places (can remove as soon as you see it appears)
Correct?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So you are staring at your maple in early Spring and see new growth appearing in a place that is not appropriate (top/bottom/crotch/etc.). Do you have to let it finish its growth or can you pinch it off really before it fully emerges?

I know this may seem a rookie question but I've not really been focusing on deciduous trees yet.
It depends.
If my tree is weak or has just been collected, I will take growth anywhere. The trees need all the growth to collect energy and build the roots. If it is a healthy tree that have growth in abundance, I will pinch them to direct the growth into the more appropriate spots.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Rookie questions make up the vast amount of questions here and is how the rest of us learn as well. Keep asking, keep learning. There's a lot to learn here.
That said, letting one branch (or multiple even) grow unrestrained while restricting growth elsewhere will allow the tree to bleed off energy that you don't want going into the restricted growth.
Case in point, I did not know this and now learned something because you asked a "rookie" question. Thank you.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Rookie questions make up the vast amount of questions here and is how the rest of us learn as well. Keep asking, keep learning. There's a lot to learn here.

Case in point, I did not know this and now learned something because you asked a "rookie" question. Thank you.
It isn't original to me. I believe I picked it up from Michael Hagedorn, either directly, or from one of his "coaching tree" on Bonsai Wire podcast.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Leave it IF you want to bleed off energy and it won't result in unwanted swelling.
I use this regularly when starting maple branching. A strong new shoot close to a smaller one will take excess energy while the nearby one grows slow with short internodes that are important for future ramification. Otherwise starting new branching is a lottery and I often need to start over if the shoots are too strong.

If you remove shoots early enough you can pull and they will just break off cleanly with less chance of more new shoots following. Even earlier, new buds just emerging can be rubbed off with a fingertip. If you need tools you left them on too long.

Top Bottom